Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Letter #161 December 24, 1943

Dec. 24 1943
Christmas Eve.
My Darling Wife;
Well, sweetheart, here it is, the eve of the big day. Hardly seems possible. Be the first, and I hope the last, we are ever apart.
We had a pleasant surprise today. Off duty at noon today and don't go back to work until Monday. Boy! Some vacation. Huh? Give me time to do a few of the chores I should have a wife doing for me and also catch up on some neglected letter writing.
They gave three day passes to about 25 men this morning. The rest of us can go out tomorrow and Sunday, but have to be back for dinner tomorrow and roll call Sunday. Can't let too many men go at once. Always supposed to be 2/3 of the men on call at least once a day. They will give another bunch passes over New Year. Don't think I'm much interested, but I might take a crazy notion and go on a tear. Might even talk to some nice gal if I can find one that will even look at me. Have to keep my hat on I bet.
Just think. Tomorrow I can open your package and see the presents you got for me. You're a swell old devil and I love you like hell.
I'm afraid I deceived you a little about not getting you anything for Christmas but at the time I told you that, I really didn't expect to be able to find anything that even looked like you. I just happened to see that toilet set in one of the P.X.'s and, though I didn't know anything about such stuff, I thought you might be able to use it. I remember giving you something along that line a couple times before we were married and you said you liked it, so I tried my luck again. If the stuff isn't your kind maybe you can trade it to someone. I was thinking of you anyhow. I looked all over Leesville last week and couldn't find a thing but trinkets in the jewelry line. None of your kind of stuff so I didn't get anything else. I'll save it until I see something you like and then I thought after I had you all prepared to get no present that it would be really fun to surprise you so I sent it to Mom to keep until Christmas. Hope you like it and aren't too angry with me for deceiving you.
Remember the card you sent? "I wantcha when I'm happy, I wantcha when I'm blue. Even when I'm mad atcha, I wantcha----yes, I do!" That is a cute card honey. It goes for both of us.
Guess we are going to have another spread for dinner tomorrow. All the trimmings with it too. I saw the turkeys in the kitchen today and the mess hall is all decorated in fine style, even to a Christmas tree. All wives are invited. Too bad we can't get together. I'd like you to have a meal army style, and also get a chance to show you off to the boys. Then they'd stop wondering why I don't go out like most of the others do. No use. I wouldn't find another like you and I won't take any second best as long as I have the best waiting for me. Sure, they could probably answer the purpose, but I want your special brand of loving or none. Gee! I gotcha sweetheart.
Well honey, it almost looks like we would have a white Christmas down here. It's been raining hard all day and just cold enough to freeze ice on the trees and wires. None on the ground. The pines are surely pretty, all covered with an inch of ice and sparkling as though decorated. They are so heavy with ice they are bent nearly double so the tops are within a few feet of the ground. I never expected to see weather like this way down here. Some days like summer and then the next like this. Funny country.
This railroad strike doesn't sound good. Glad you aren't traveling now. Might really get stranded.
Remember when I was at Knox, I told you about loaning some money and not getting it all back? Since the break up I hadn't found the fellow. Well he is on maneuvers with the 8th and they came in our barracks tonight for showers. Had a three day leave from down in Texas and he came back here to see his gal friend. Well I got my money. It was only $2.00 but I got it. Just an old hard boiled collector. That's me. End of the month and the boy was out for a good time and I hit him for the $2.00. Christmas eve too. I'm a hard one honey.
You can sure soften me up. Wrap me around your finger and make me like it. I don't care. I love you. I like to be wrapped around any part of you.
I went back to the medics this morning and they cut me open again and said if it didn't bother I wouldn't need to come back. It's still sore and touchy but is getting much better. Be good as new again in a couple days. All this rest over the weekend will help a lot. Can run around without a shoe and let it get well.
I'm going to have a real lazy couple days, write a few letters, do a little sewing, a little reading, and maybe some sleeping and a lot of daydreaming about my darling wife. If I'm in the proper mood I might even write you a nice-naughty letter or something like that there.
It's nice and quiet here tonight. A few of the boys are playing cards or writing and the radio is playing carols. Nice quiet Christmas eve. I'd a lot rather be home with my "Varga" girl wife. I can't be there in person, but I'm with you in my thoughts and that is something. Better than not having you to think of.
Night honey. I love you. You're my sweetheart.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: