Saturday, April 30, 2011

Letter # 355 April 27, 1944

April 27, 1944
Thurs. eve.
My special wife;
Got two letters from my wifey today. Sun and Monday ones.  Very nice ones too.
We finished our packing this afternoon and are all ready for orders to load up and take off.  Oh, we still have some cleaning and etc. at the garage but not much.  We nailed the lid on the last box at about 2:30 and Brownie says, "Fuck it. Let's close her up and fuck off for the rest of the day."  We did. 
Gebby and I went down the road to where the 8th has moved in and tried to look up a few old friends.  Ernie was the only one I succeeded  in finding.  Same old boy only it's surprising how much he has aged in the past few months.  He's almost as grey headed as a man of 60.  Seems the same as always in other ways. 
He tried to tell me that since he has been married he's gotten so he can lay down beside it and go right to sleep. I poo-pooed that and he did admit it wasn't quite that bad.  Still had some life left.  I was kidding him how he liked married life by now.  Said it was the best thing ever happened to him and then said he had forgotten to thank me for urging him to get married.  Said I had praised it so highly to him all the time that he believed it.  Glad he did too.  There, see how I talk about us?  I like married life swell.  Only wish I could live it.  Ernie didn't know much about any of the other fellows.  His wife is down here again and he spends all his time with her.  Lucky devil. 
I got a little more of my new clothes today.  Field jacket and 3 new suntan shirts.  Now I can start sewing stripes again.  No patches though.  They all must come off and stay off until further notice.  The rest of my clothes are supposed to be coming.  I must be an unusual size or something.
Offered us all three day passes today.  Fri, Sat. & Sun.  I didn't figure I wanted one very bad after all.  I'll save mine for later if we get a chance to get together.  I'm expecting to be in some camp for a while and if they allow us any liberty at all, I'm expecting to see my honey.  A three day pass then would be a bit of all right.  Wonder if I'd be as worn out as Gebby was.  I'll sure work at it. 
I guess that is all the news and now I'll answer your letters.
I was so interested in your shopping trip.  I like to see my wife in nice clothes and now that I can't see her, I can imagine, when you tell me about them, how you look in them.  I had nearly guessed how you looked in your black one, but not quite.  Looked better and more beautiful than I had expected.  These new ones sound good too, especially the brown one.  I like you in summer dresses.  Nothing hidden and, honey, you're an eye full.  Plenty to see and thrill to.  I loves you.
Get the alarm clock fixed if you possibly can or try to buy a new one.  Don't forget, if you come this summer to bring it along.  I might be able to stay all night with you this time. 
Silly. Asking if you could persuade me to sleep with you.  Of course you can't.  I'm not that kind of man.  Who wrote that?  You damn well know it won't take any persuasion at all.  It would take a whole army to keep me away from you. 
Honey, I've always wanted you to come see me, you don't know how bad, but I just couldn't ask or even let you get yourself into this mess down here.  My desire to have you here or anyplace I may be, has gotten the better of my desire to protect you.  I just want as much of you as it's possible to have.
Carl Wacker's rumor about Calif. may be very true but I wouldn't swear to it.  That has been my guess all along and still is.  Hope it's right and we are someplace where accommodations for you are better. 
Gebby and I were remarking the other night about how we would have to be a little more careful of what we said in our letters, if they are censored.  The censor would sure have gotten a kick out of some that I've written you.  Wow!
May 26 sounds plenty good to me, if the army only doesn't fuck up our plans.  I'm crossing everything too. 
Two pounds off already.  If you keep it up honey, you'll have a bathing beauty shape on top of all your other attractions.  Poor me.  How could I stood it?  Bet you won't be able to love any better.  You're perfect now.  I loves you sweetheart.  Bye now. I'm dreaming of you. 
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: