Monday, April 11, 2011

Letter # 345 April 16, 1944

April 16, 1944
Sun. Aft.
My Darling Wife;
Sunday again.  Just had a very good dinner.  Chicken & dressing, potatoes, corn and even apple pie and ice cream.  Not bad. huh?  Almost like some of the meals of a week ago.  Some difference though in all other respects.  No wife with me only other soldiers.  Seems like a long time already.  I sure as hell am in love with my wife and miss her all the time. 
I think I'd be in favor of this army adopting the policy of the English army with their native African troops.  Allow them to take their wives into the army with them.  I think that would be fun for me.  Maybe I'll write Washington and propose a bill or something to that effect. 
I'm rather all alone here today.  Brownie & Baker on furlough.  Gebby got a three day pass with today making it four so he went home. It's only about 700 miles so he can do it easily in that time.  Mac is out at his usual place making what might be a goodby call.  The fellow I mentioned that had the gal knocked up is getting married today and most of the others are making their goodbys to La. this week, because it's possible that we will be restricted next week if we are still here.
I've been busy all morning writing letters.  Steve, Jim, Mom, Marg, and now you.  I guess this will be my last for today.  Must finish my book and do a few chores, clean up and then if I can get in, I think I'll go to the show tonight.  "Buffalo Bill".  Sounds good and is supposed to be a real spectacale.  All in color.  I can see you turn up your nose but I think I'll like it.  Wild West, bang, bang stuff.  If you were here I might even insist you go with me.  I know damn well I wouldn't go without you. 
It's a beautiful sunshiney day again today with a cool north wind keeping it nice and comfortable.  Very nice day for a walk or to be out digging or to be sitting under a tree with a very nice girl, talking and loving and just taking it easy and enjoying life.  That's a word picture promie of us someday in the future.  That's the way I would like to spend a lot of our days.  We will too. 
I got your Wed. letter today.  Too bad your weather is so mean all the time.  Seems like it should be time for spring soon.  Oh well, honey, the longer it stays cold, the less you will have to mow the lawn.  Is that any comfort?
I haven't as yet had any indication of Kelly's measles and don't think it very likely. 
You were a knock out Monday night and all the rest of them too.  You looked good enough to eat.  I'm like Art.  That dress is a peach and you can sure fill it out so it's beautiful.  You are a very good looking woman when you want to be.  You look so good I can hardly believe you could be my wife.  Gosh, I'm sure glad you are.
I guess I've written too much already today.  Can't think of anything to say.
Bye now darling.  I'm watching the calendar for the 1st of June to get here also.  I love my darling wife so much. 
Your hubby.
Norm. 

No comments: