Saturday, April 2, 2011

Letter # 235 March 22, 1944

Mar 22, 1944 Hello Sweetheart; I'm afraid this is going to be a short note. We've had a hell of a time so far these two days. Started to run the problem in a driving rain and only two of our tanks ever reached the objective. All mired down in gooey mud. We built enough log road again today to pave half the roads in La. We still have three of them to get out yet tomorrow. We worked until dark and then gave up for today. Hadn't had a bite to eat since early this morning. You can bet the candy & etc we had with us came in handy. The rain never let up all day and you can imagine what we were like by night. Wasn't too warm either. We have just finished building our tent and have a big fire out in front so we are very comfortable and drying out in good shape. In spite of the rugged weather I've rather enjoyed it. Only trouble is a fellow gets so damn mad at the ignorance of the officers. As many times as we have been hung up in this territory they still insist that we go back into it again and again. I didn't get a letter today but the mail man tells me I have a package. I'll get that in the morning I guess. We have quite a little work on the tanks to do before we can move out again. We might even stay right here for a couple days before we move. I have a letter of yours to answer - Got it yesterday - I think it was your Friday one, but I'm damned if I know where it is now. Someplace in the half track. I'll find it tomorrow and maybe tomorrow night I'll have more time to write. This is an awful short letter but I'm going to stop now and shit, shave, and go to bed. - No shower. I had that all day with my clothes on. I'm loving you all the time, honey, and I always will. You're darn nice loving and I don't mean maybe. Night sweetheart, I'll see you in my dreams. Your hubby. Norm.

No comments: