Monday, April 25, 2011

Letter # 349 April 20, 1944

April 20, 1944
Thurs. eve.
Darling Chubbins;
Two letters all at once from you today.  Both very nice sweet letters too.  The weekend one and Monday one.  I've got lots to answer now. 
The old man is still alive and kicking.  They took pity on us today and instead of double time or calisthenics we played ball for our physical training today.  I guess the first sarge and the officers were so stiff and sore they couldn't take it so they told us to go play ball.  That was enough to work the stiffness out of all but one muscle and I feel good tonight.  Ready to start all over again tomorrow. 
Still working on the tools and we are finally getting to the place where it looks like we have been doing something.  Almost all greased and part of them wrapped in the wax paper. 
We had one of the army's visual dental inspections and as a result, Mac has been at the dentist all day and never even got to the chair.  He'll have to go back again tomorrow and wait until they get to him.  They said mine were O.K.  I knew they were as far as anyone could tell from that type of check up. 
They gave us change of address cards for us to sign today.  They will send them out when we leave so you will get one someday.  Maybe you'll know as soon as I do where I am.  If you do have a few days without letters you can guess we are on our way, someplace.  We may not be allowed to write the last few days. 
I haven't sent the package I mentioned yet.  I will as soon as I get around to it. 
I guess that is all that is new so I'll answer your letters. 
I was wondering a little if you were going to worry me like you did last time.  I had tried to be real careful but it's damn hard to do when we have that wonderful feeling.  Never can be certain and then that one rubber rather betrayed us.  I was sure it was still "clean" but even then I wasn't sure.  Sometimes I don't know from nothing at those times.  Gee honey, it's so much fun and you're so damn good loving.  Best ever came down the road.   According to my calendar you were exactly on time.  28 days on the dot.  I didn't disturb you as much this time.  Maybe I couldn't do as good as I should have.  Anyhow I'm glad to know you are still normal.  "Haven't got a cake in the oven", as I heard one fellow say it. 
I'm glad the battery turned out to be all right.  Good old Art is right.  I'm going to owe him a lot for taking such good care of you. 
I guess I did forget to tell you I had used your lunch to very good advantage.  I ate at St. Louis and your lunch took me from there on to camp.  Very nice lunch and very thoughtful of you.  You're nice even when you're a long way away.  You're more than nice when you're close to me.  The closer the better.  [Stay down boy.  She isn't here.  I'm only thinking of her.]  You'll have to excuse "his" bad manners.  Maybe someday he'll learn to behave as he should. 
I guess Mick is in much the same stew as we are.  Waiting and wondering and don't know anything.  That cough must be similar to the thing I had when I first came down here last year.  I wasn't completely rid of it for nearly a month.
Sounds like you had a busy Sunday afternoon with all your callers.  I bet you liked it though even if you didn't get the old grade cards done.
You bet it's hot down here.  I worked at the garage, stripped to the waist all day and was still plenty sticky & stinky.  Time for me to go north, like the birds do. 
You're not crazy to start counting the days.  In fact you'd be crazy if you didn't.  After all, not every girl such a nice husband to be going to see.   I've been counting the days too.  I'm sure planning on having a very nice time with you, wherever it may be.  I'm very lucky to have a wife like you to look forward to being with.  You're a peach.  None better. 
This only answers one of your letters.  I think I'll save the other.  I may not get one tomorrow. 
Night, sweetheart, I'm very much in love with you.  I'm missing you a hell of a lot.  I loves my wifey.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: