Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Letter # 338 March 26, 1944

Mar. 26, 1944
Sun. Eve.
My Darling Wife;
Boy, Honey, did we eat pancakes this morning. There were only a few of us in camp and the cooks made plenty and just as we wanted them, so they were nice and hot. We sure made a hole in the can of syrup. Poured it on so the pancakes nearly floated and were they good. Syrup for pancakes is one thing that is piss poor in the army. I guess they make it from brown sugar and it's like water and only give you enough to taste. We fixed 'em this morning. Had all the syrup we wanted and it was mighty good. I think I ate 10 cakes myself. The rest weren't far behind. You can tell Mom & Pop that the syrup went over big with all of us. It was a big treat to the others. They don't come from a maple syrup country and it was about the first real syrup they ever had. It sure is good. We have about enough for another meal yet.

The mail just came in, so here I go. Hope I get one from Mummy.

Shucks, no letter from you today. I got one from Vi. Nothing much to say. Mentions the possibility of Geo being called up in the April call. They have surely been on the uncertain list a long time.

I see some of the boys got their first installment of Yank today. I reckon you'll be getting yours soon. Let me know if you don't and I'll check up on it.

Another interruption. Just had chow. We worked until about 3 today and then they had a truck ready to take us back to camp if we wanted to shower and clean up. Brownie, Gebby, and I decided we didn't want to go way in there for that. It's about 50 miles over dusty road. Be as dirty when we got back as we were before. Instead, we walked over in the woods to a creek and took us a bath. Felt very good too. Came back to the tent, heated a little water and shaved, so I'm all nice and sweet now.

We have some grease pails we've cleaned up and are using to heat water. We use our steel helmets for wash basins and, believe it or not, we keep as clean as we did in camp. Aside from that one day we've had nice weather. I've really been enjoying it. Out in the field, all the "chicken shit" part of army life is forgotten. It's almost like a vacation. If we had conditions like this, I wouldn't mind staying out all summer. I can sleep as well on the ground as in an army cot anyhow.  We get fed as good if not a little better than in camp. 
Today has been a warm cloudy day.  Even dripped a bit about noon and it is thundering now.  I suppose it will have to rain again.  As I write this, I'm sitting on an old pine stump in front of our tent, stripped to the waist and feeling fine.   The breeze has that warm, damp before a storm feel.  Very pleasant. 
Gebby's wife sent him a box of cigars and we are all smoking on him. 
We are bivouacked on a rather flat stretch of ground, spotted here and there by scrub oak trees and the inevitable burned remnants of pine stumps.  This country must have had a hell of a lot of timber in its day.  It reminds me a lot of some of the burned over stump country we saw in Michigan on that never to be forgotten trip.  Wish I could sleep with you tonight, even under the same conditions.  I could at least get hold of you and feel you.  I like the "feel" of my soft, chubby sweetheart.  I like to love her too.  Maybe you don't know it but I'm going to love her again some of these days.  Keep on loving her as long as I've got the strength to do it. 
Well sweetheart, I guess that is about all the news I have.  I'm going back over your letters for this week and answer them more fully.  I kind of skimmed over them when I did answer. 
In checking over my calendar I find you are still pretty much on schedule with the indisposed days.  Must be I'm the cause of your irregularity at times.  Wish I could be keeping you irregular all the time.  Fun doing it, but not much fun to leave when you're overdue.  Remember?  You had me a bit worried.
Winter is hanging on it seems to make up for the lack of it the first part of the winter.  You should soon be getting some good weather.  Probably be a very poor sugar year again. 
You people are hard on soldiers.  Every time we come home you feed us so good we loose our streamlined figure and have to work like hell to get it back again.  I can see Mickey expanding around the middle.  I remember I gained 10 lbs when I was home and I was getting a very good workout all the time too.  I'm ready for another workout anytime. 
I'm glad to hear Jean has her problem worked out.  I would think it about the best thing she could do.  The kids make the situation more complicated than ours was. 
I don't blame Tony for being disgusted.  I would be too.  I've been very lucky that way.  I only had K.P. four times in my army career.  I still draw a clean up and latrine duty in turn.  Everyone in the barracks does that. 
I know we can stand it if I don't get home before June but I don't want to.  It would be rather complicated in that case.  You'd probably only get down here and then I'd get furlough and we'd go back home again.  Lots of arguments either way.  We can speculate about it, but let time decide the issue. 
I'm anxious to know how you intend to let me make up for the lack of letters while I'm in the field.  I can guess but I may be wrong.  You crossed me up once lately on the package.  I thought I had one on you but it turned out the other way around. 
Well honey, I'm unwound so Night Sweetheart.  I love you. 
Your hubby.
Norm. 

No comments: