Thursday, April 28, 2011

Letter # 352 April 24, 1944

April 24, 1944
Mon. eve.
Hi, Babe darling;
Monday gone again.  Time moves along, but gosh, honey, it seems a hell of a lot more than two weeks since I left you.  Seems like it must be at least 2 months since I got my last kiss.  I sure do miss all those sweet contacts with you and seeing that look in your eyes that says I love you, I'm all yours.  It seems to be a rather empty life without all that.  I get rather used to it or resigned to it after awhile but I miss you all the time.  Most though after I first leave you.  Seems like it should be the other way around but it isn't.  I never get enough of you or ever seem to want to be away from you.  You're so sweet  and good and fine, I'll never be able to see enough of you to suit me.  No help for me honey.  I'm in love with you, head over heals. 
It has been a very beautiful spring day, not hot and not cold, perfect.  We worked packing tools all day, except for a couple hours this morning when we saw a sex hygiene film.  You know, keep your peter in your pants if you can, if you can't, be sure to use proper preventatives and take a pro. - If you don't,  here are some examples of what might happen.  Then follows a series of pictures of extreme cases of syph and clap and blue balls and etc.  Same old film I've seen a dozen times.  Some of the pictures would scare a man out.  At least they would me.  I'll stick to Mummy, she's clean and oh such good loving!  Couldn't find another girl that would even be fun in comparison to your brand. 
Baker didn't get back.  He is now overdue, but I guess he has an excuse.  They say Kansas has the worst flood in a half century and the trains can't come through.  Isn't he lucky?  The damn country couldn't flood when I was home so I could stay a few more days.  I don't have that kind of luck.  I had my share of good luck when you married me.  That's enough for a lifetime of good luck in other ways. 
We got a few more pieces of new equipment today and tomorrow we turn in part of the old.  They also say we are to be issued life preservers tomorrow. Imagine that!  Crazy isn't it?  Lug all that stuff along when they could just as well give it to us when we get to the coast.  Situation normal.  All fucked up.  Snafu!
I hope you aren't trying to read more in these letters than I am putting in them.  I'm telling you everything I know as quick as I know it.  I'm not keeping a thing back in an effort to keep you in the dark.  I don't know a damn thing more than I've told you and your guess is as good as mine.  My guess is the same as it has been.  Some camp, probably on one coast or the other for another period of training.  I could be right or I could be wrong. 
I got your Thurs letter today.  Also got an absentee primary ballot by special delivery.  They must need votes bad.  I hadn't requested one.  I'm so far out of the know, I don't feel qualified to even vote.  Would be like flipping a coin.  Don't even recognize many of the names. 
I'll answer your letter now.  I can't answer for Tony, but I think it would take a lot more than a 17 mile march to make me forget my duties as a husband. 
Of course, when the red flag is flying I might have to sleep all day too, to keep from busting something.  We have surely been lucky in that respect so far.  Only lost one day that we were together.  The last one in Ky.  Remember?   That's darn good, I'd say.  Hope our luck holds. 
No comments to make on your decision as to what you are going to do about working.  You are a level headed girl and capable of making your own decisions.  I only hope I can keep you busy doing things for me.  I'm selfish.  I don't even want to work for anyone else. 
You bet you look good when you dress up for me.  I don't think I told you how good you did look but I'll bet if you can read my eyes, they told you plenty.  I'm proud of you anytime.  You don't need to take a back seat for looks at anytime.  You are actually beautiful when you fix up and get that look in your eye.  Make a wild man of me.  Good thing we are married or I'd be up for abduction or something.  I want you terribly.  I'm glad I gotcha.  You're my wife and sweetheart.  I'm in love with you.  Bye now.
your lover
Norm. 

No comments: