Thursday, April 28, 2011

Letter # 353 April 25, 1944

April 25, 1944
Tues. eve.
My knock out Wife;
No news report from here for today.  Not even any new rumors.  Hard to believe, but nevertheless true.  I guess everyone had exhausted his stock of guesses and is waiting for something new to happen to start some more rumors. 
We got most of our packing finished up today.  Getting ready to take off for places unknown. 
The11th Airborne division that has been here in camp with us moved out the past few days.  They are still going and probably will be for a couple days more.  The 8th division, my old outfit, is moving in, where the 11th is moving from.  I should say, what is left of the 8th.  They broke the outfit up and all the Pfc's, privates, were put in the infantry and are being sent out for oversea shipment.  The noncoms and rated men are forming cadres and are apparently going to train some rookies someplace.  See what would have happened if I had stayed with the 8th.  I'd be here in the states training rookies for a while at least.  If it wasn't for you and the chance it would give me to see you, I wouldn't even consider that kind of job to be able to stay near you.  You would more than make up for anything I'd miss seeing or doing. 
Baker came back last night.  Water went down enough so he could get through.  He got one extra day out of it and is mad he didn't get another.  Said he had a redhead school teacher all lined up for an evening and then he had to leave.  Thought he was going to get a little "meat" from her.  I told him to watch his step with school teachers.  They have a way of fascinating a man and making him love her, when he really didn't intend to do that at all.  I know.  I've had experience along that line.  I'm not at all sorry though.  Best thing that ever happened to me or ever will happen.  If all school teachers are like mine they should never be allowed to become old maids. They make much too nice wives for any such waste.  I'm in love with you, honey.  Madly in love. 
That's the idea sweetheart, keep up the old "crossing everything" routine and maybe it will work again.  It's done very well so far.  Beside if you keep your legs crossed you can't get in very much trouble. 
You say you are getting tough and can take anything anymore.  Part of that may be true.  You can sure take all I can give you and do it very well too.  I don't know about the tough part though.  You only just told me you were sore from my "damned old exercises" and I bet if you have any fillings to put in you'll faint on Stan again.  You're only an old softie and I love you soft.  Makes me feel like you need me to take care of you. 
The fellows that were A.W.O.L. got off so damned easy I'm sorry I didn't stay a few more days with you.  The most any of them have gotten, so far is a restriction and a fine.  The restriction for only a week and the fine.  Buy a war bond a month for three months.  That fellow had been over for 8 days too.  The best one though was one of our fuck ups who was over for 4 days.  Seems that he took a minor girl over the state line for a couple days and the girl's parent had the law on him.  He telegraphed for an extension to get married and was refused so he came back unmarried and late.  When he was called up on the charge of A.W.O.L. he told his story and added if they didn't give him time to go back and marry the girl he was going over the hill again.  He got a 10 day leave and even borrowed  $60.00 from the Major.  Beat that one if you can.  The only thing we can figure is the Major thinks he is going over with us if we go and he doesn't want to get shot in the back by someone he has punished. 
Guess I forgot to say I got your Fri letter today.  I've already answered it. 
I'm all unwound now so I'm going to say bye for now.  I'm loving you, honey, more and more and more.  I'm crazy about you.  You're my wife and sweetheart.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: