Thursday, April 28, 2011

Letter # 351 April 23, 1944

April 23, 1944
Sun. afternoon.
Sweetheart;
Last night I did as you thought I might have done a week ago.  Went to town and didn't get back in time to write you a letter.  This one will have to be for Sat & Sunday this time.  As you have probably found out by now, I did write a week ago Sat. 
I had been looking around camp for some suitable Mother's Day cards without any luck, so I went to DeRidder, thinking I would have better luck.  I did find some that are passable, but I had to take them both alike.  I don't know if I'm way early or if they don't think of Mother's Day down here, but I had quite a search to find even the ones I have.  I went to all the drug stores, 5& 10's and etc in town.  When I didn't see any in the card displays I'd ask and get the same "no" in most cases.  I did get some nice smiles too, but I'm an old married man and didn't try to make anything of it.  However, in the 5& 10 where I did find these, I was slightly tempted.  I had a rather pretty, well built girl waiting on me and trying to be helpful.  What made it even more tempting, she was a redhead.  Lots of very pretty red hair.  I was even wondering if it would feel different than brown hair.  I didn't find out though, damn it. 
I don't know the exact date of Mother's Day, but due to the uncertainty of where I will be and etc. I thought I'd better get the cards and will probably send them soon.  I guess it won't be unbearable if they arrive early.
I darn near got myself soaked too.  I had bought the cards and was going back towards the bus station when I met a couple of the boys.  Marshal was one of them.  The fellow from Penna. who had been to military school before coming to the army.  We bought a round of sundaes and then went to a show in town.  Very cheap western that I don't even remember the name of.  When we came out it was raining as it can only in La.  The water was running, actually a foot deep in the streets and kept up for an hour or more.  We finally made it to the bus during a lull and then when we got to camp it was the same thing all over again.  After waiting at the station for some time we waded out during another lull which lasted only long enough for us to get about halfway to the barracks.  We did the last half on a dead run and staggered panting into the barracks only half soaked.  Good thing we tried it then though because it poured all night.  I left my window open about three inches at the top and woke up later in the night, half drowned.  The wind was blowing like hell and bringing the rain in on me in a shower.
Today is beautiful again.  Cooled off just right. 
Worked all morning yesterday.  After dinner we had dress inspection in our suntans and were presented with our medals for gunnery and etc.  I have a whole handful of scrap iron now that I don't know of any good use for, and they say I have more coming.  They didn't have them for all our accomplishments.  I got a sharpshooter medal with three bars, machine gun, sub machine gun, and pistol, a mechanic's medal with a bar saying mechanic on it, and I still have an expert medal for the carbine and a driver's medal [tank and wheel vehicles] coming yet.  They didn't have the service ribbons either, so I have another installment coming.  Some junk.  If I'd wear them all I sound like a cow with a bell on, every time I moved.  It's not compulsory to wear them.  That's something. 
The captain told us that he now knew where we were going, but of course he couldn't tell us.  At least I guess it's almost certain that we will move about the 1st of May.  He also said we must send all our personal things that aren't G.I. issue home, because we only are allowed one barracks bag per man on the move.  I'm waiting for Baker to come back with my little bag, [he should be in today] and then I'll pack it all in that and send it to you.  There will also be a piece or so of G.I. stuff that I'm not charged for. 
We are not allowed to wear any of our new clothes yet.  We are getting them and are to mark them and get the stripes all sewed on and ready to wear.  So far, we haven't had orders about the patches.  Don't know if we can wear them or not.  That depends on where or rather what this move is.  If it should be P.O.E. we won't wear patches.
I haven't got any of my clothes yet to sew stripes on, but I did get all my new field equipment and etc marked this morning.  Lots of sewing.  Damn it honey, I really need a wife.
They are still trying to make us believe that this is an overseas movement.  It may be, but I'm hard to convince.  I'm still planning on seeing you this summer.  I will be too, until I walk on to the boat.
That is all the news I can think of now.  I've got two letters here to answer so here goes.  Tues & Wed ones.
You are darn right I was glad to hear from you.  I always am and when I don't expect to and do, I'm really tickled.  You're so sweet and thoughtful I should be glad to hear from you.  Shouldn't I? 
You do a very good job of keeping me in trim, but you spoil it by feeding me too good.  10 lbs in a week.  At that rate you would have me back to my 200 in about three weeks.  Then I wouldn't be in trim.  I'd have a belly again.  Some padding for my bones too.  You didn't complain much about that this time.  You were too glad to have me, I bet. 
Keep on planning honey.  If our plans don't work out, they don't cost anything and they are lots of fun.  Every night before I go to sleep, I think it's one day closer to the time and plan or day dream about what we will do and how much fun we will have.  If they don't work out we will both be very disappointed but we will only put the plans off for a while. They're too nice of plans to discard. 
You're a very surprising girl, honey.  I thought I knew you very well and here you surprise me again.  Taking exercises!  I can hardly believe it.  I know you said you were going to, but you always said you intended to sometime.  Keep trying, honey, and you'll be able to do them after a while, only don't fall on the bubbles too hard.  They are mine and I don't want them abused.  I like the old things a lot.  Make you very appealing.  That isn't the word.  You know what I mean. 
I really should go see Phinney again but I haven't yet.  I neglect things like that. 
You may be fishing for compliments, sweetheart, but why shouldn't you if you like the ones I hand out.  That's about all I can give you by mail.  You surely didn't waste much time sleeping this time and you were more than willing to spend the time any way I wanted you to.  You were sweet.  You are improving so much in more ways than one that I soon won't be able to keep up with you.  Gosh, honey, I love you. 
I'm glad you are through "flying the red flag" but it doesn't do me much good.  You are a little mean, teasing me about it.  You know or at least you should be able to guess that I'd be ready to show you a little loving by this time.  I could really go for some of your "brand" again anytime and all the time.  You're the best loving ever made and I really believe it.  So there too.
Either I wrote it wrong or you took it wrong.  I didn't mean the mark of 300 to be added to the 80.  The 300 was the mark for a normal year and I still say it's about right.  The way I really like it is once a day every day you are in shape and when we celebrate or feel specially young, as many as we want.  I don't think we missed that mark too far either as long as I was home.  Fun! Boy, honey, we've got a lot to look forward to. 
You can bet our dreams are going to come true.  Maybe they won't for a while yet, but they will sometime.  I know we aren't loosing any of our love or affection for each other.  We are only loosing a little time in which to show each other and enjoy it.  The time will come and then we can make up for the time we are loosing now. 
Well honey, I guess I'm unwound now.  This isn't so bad though.
I'm loving you and dreaming and waiting.  I love you, darling.
Your hubby.
Norm. 

No comments: