Thursday, April 14, 2011

Letter # 346 April 17, 1944

April 17, 1944
Mon. eve.
Babe darling;
This is very apt to be a very short letter.  We are going to have to work for a while tonight.  I don't think it will be long but it might be.  After telling us to go ahead and oil and pack our tools, and we have part of them all done, they now decide that they are to be greased with special grease and wrapped in special wax paper and then dipped in melted wax to completely waterproof them.  Then we must take measurements of all our equipment so they can have boxes built to fit them.  That is what we must do tonight.  I mean take the measurements.  The rest can be done later.  Just another case of the army changing its mind or not knowing what it wants.  Same old shit.  Looks like a hell of a lot of trouble to move back to North Camp, which is probably where we will end up. 
Rumors are flying about every camp in the States and even India, Australia, and China.  Take your pick.  I'll take Ft. Knox.  How about you?
I went to see "Buffalo Bill" last night.  Waited in line for 1 1/2 hrs and then made it by a slim margin.  It was a good, entertaining show.  Nothing great but very pretty.  Good scenery and all in color. 
Gebby came back this morning just in time for reveille. [that's not spelled right]  Had nearly three days at home and is all worn out.  Slept all day at the garage.
Haven't gotten a letter yet today.  May get it at evening call.  You see I am fucking out of retreat and writing to my wifey.
Two of our boys are still over the hill almost a week now. 
Well this is all for now.  I may write more later if I have time.  Bye , sweetheart, I'm loving you so much.  You're my knock out wife.  You're swell.
I love you
Norm. 

No comments: