Friday, April 8, 2011

Letter # 342 April 13, 1944

April 13, 1944
Thurs. Eve.
My Darling Wife;
Back to the old army routine and back to writing letters again.  Kinda hard to get started writing again after seeing you and telling you and showing you what I wanted to express.  I'd a hell of a lot rather tell you and show you and I'm not bird terding.  It was so nice to see you and live with you again, even if only a short time.  You were so sweet to me, honey.  Very nice to come home to.  Almost wish I had stayed and to hell with the army.  You're nice and I love you.
I got in camp at about 7 last night and got most of my equipment settled by bed time, so I didn't do so badly after all. 
It is much as we surmised, the rumors are really flying around.  The date for our move has been set for about the first of May.  That is putting it off again, but it really looks like the real thing this time.  I mean a move to some other place.  I don't think it means over for a while yet. 
Our tanks and vehicles are all gone.  All we have left are two trucks and our small equipment.  That's our mechanics tools and etc. 
Due to the added two weeks time, Baker and Brownie left on furloughs on Wed afternoon.  I'm glad for them.  Of course they don't have a nice wife to go home to, but I'll bet they like to get home just the same. 
Mac and I have been cleaning, painting, and oiling and packing our tools so they can be shipped.  Quite a job.  Each single pliers and screwdriver, and etc must be individually wrapped and oiled so they won't rust.  Keep us busy for several days I guess.  They have just given us a complete new set of tools.  All we should have had all this time. 
They called me up from the shop this morning to inspect all my clothes and equipment.  Result is I get almost a complete new outfit.  See!  Even in the army I get a new Easter outfit.  I haven't got it yet, but they say I will in a few days.  Three new outfits of suntans.  My size this time.  New field jacket, shoes, fatigues, underclothes, socks, helmet, raincoat, one new O.D. trousers, new field equipment and lots of things. 
They say we will not have a blouse, [coat to you] neckties, or leggings from now on.  That part sounds good to me.  Be more at home with my shirt collar open.  Hope we can roll our sleeves too.  Our new fatigues will be two piece - shirt and trousers - maybe we can leave the tops off when it gets too warm.  Afraid it's all too good to be true.
Honey, I guess I wasn't the only one that didn't want to come back.  So far there are four of them overdue.  Getting nearly as good as Mick's outfit.  Almost wish I was one of them.  Don't get that wrong, sweetheart, I'm all right only I'm missing you a hell of a lot already.  I don't like being away from you at all.  I didn't see anywhere near enough of you to satisfy me in those few short days.  Just can;t get enough of you - you sweet old devil.  Believe it or not I didn't even get enough loving.  I can still turn to stone when I think of you and how nice you love.  Gosh, honey, you're tops. 
In one of your old letters that I got today, you say that you are going to tag me around everyplace when I get home again.  Well, honey, that's plenty O.K. by me.  I hope you stick to that promise.  I'm in love with you. 
I had four letters from you waiting for me.  The news was stale but I enjoyed them anyhow.  You told me some nice things.  I like the things you say about me.  I'm nice
I also had a letter from Jim, one from Steve and one from Marg.  Lots of mail but no news to you.  You've heard it all!  Jim's letter was V mail this time.  It was blacked out in a couple of places where he was saying something about moving. 
I guess this is about the best I can do tonight.  Can't get back into the swing of writing again.  Have to work up to it gradually.  I can still show you better than I can tell you.  This isn't nearly as satisfactory.  I can't get hold of you and love you or anything.  Right now I could sure squeeze you and hug you hard enough to make your chest sore all over again.  Gosh, honey, you were good loving.  Even if we did loose track I have a very good idea that we set a new record to shoot at the next time.  Who said we were getting old!  If that is getting old I wish I was 50.
Night. sweetheart, I love you so much.  Let these next seven weeks fly and get us settled someplace.  I'm ready for you anytime.  I love you. 
Your hubby.
Norm. 

No comments: