Thursday, April 7, 2011

Letter # 339 March 28, 1944

Mar 28, 1944
Tues. Eve.
My Sweetheart;
Tomorrow is an anniversary.  One year since I actually left to enter the army.  Hell of a long time to be away from my wife.  When I came in I really didn't expect to be in much longer than this, but now - who knows?Anyhow I'm hoping for an early end to it so I can get back to my wife. I love her so much.  It's hard to live without you.  Not very full or satisfactory life.  The single boys can say "why buy a cow when you can get all the milk you want anyhow?"  There is a hell of a lot more to having and loving a wife than that.  I know!  I'll stay married as long as I can.  To one wife too.  I love her. 
I haven't had a chance to write since Sunday.  Been too busy.  Monday morning we moved to an area several miles south of Oberlin.  Trip of about 50 miles.  Got in shortly after noon and didn't have a bit of trouble all the way and no work, much, after we got there.   We were supposed to stay there until early Tues morning and then go back to our original area before daylight.  Of course, the plans were changed and we left at 6 that evening instead.  They say the La State government has outlawed all maneuver troops from the state.  No more going where they please all over the state.  Must stay on the reservation from now on.
We moved to our original area and had all the trouble on the way back. It was after 2 in the morning when we brought the last one in.  Out early this morning catching up on our work and then this noon we moved back on the reservation to a place only 15 miles or so from camp.  We are supposed to stay here until Friday and then go in. 
We had a rainy, misty day all day Monday.  Nice today, all day, but tonight it's raining like hell.  The damn tent is leaking a little too.  Hot though.  I was sweating like hell until the rain started.  Now it's nice.  I'm laying on the top of my roll in shorts, so you know it can't be cold. 
I've gotten a lot of fun out of this trip even if I have had to work like hell.  I had a chance to go back in camp tonight and stay, but I pulled my rank on Baker and sent him instead. 
They were sending a mechanic and several men in to start work cleaning the tanks we left in camp.  They are supposed to be cleaned up and in good shape to sign over to someone else inside a couple weeks.  Sounds good.  Maybe we'll get out of La. after all. 
I've three letters of yours to answer.  I'll skip over them and then get some sleep.  I need to catch up a bit.  That's a drip. [ink smear on the page from the rain]
I was wondering how Gus made the navy with his eyes.  I guess his recommendation came in handy.  I'm glad to hear he is on limited service.  Probably won't even have a very tough basic or boot training as the navy calls it. 
There isn't much to answer in your Thurs. letter.  You're some gal, going to sleep and then writing at 2 in the morning.  I think I would have said "fuck it" and gone back to sleep. 
Well, sweetheart, I'm going to sign off now and go to bed.  I'm sleepy.  I love you.  You're my wife.  You're sweet and lovable and passionate and lots of things.  I love you.
Your lover.
Norm.

No comments: