Sunday, May 1, 2011

Letter # 356 April 28, 1944

April 28, 1944
Fri. eve.
Hello Sweetheart;
Damn it honey, I'm bursting with news but I had to pledge my honor not to tell.  They had to tell us mechanics where to address the boxes of tools today.  We at least know where the tools are going.  That's a hell of a way to treat you isn't it?  Tell you I know, and won't tell.  I'm an old meany aren't I?  You just read all my letters and you'll know sometime.
We got a few new tools again today, so we have another box or two to pack tomorrow and then we are all finish.
All evening I have been checking and turning in all my old G.I. clothes and also sorting out things I'm sending home to you.  I have my little furlough bag crammed full and another package beside.  There are two pairs of suntan trousers and one shirt.  It's legal too.  Not charged for them so the Captain said send them home.  If we don't go over or they kick the old man out of combat, I'll be in a little better shape for summer clothes this year.
I've got three shirts to sew stripes on and should do that tonight if I don't get lazy. I didn't gain much by having Hazel sew that set on.  Had to take them off to put them on the new ones.  Hell of a note.  All this sewing to do all of the time and no wife to do it for me.
I got your Tues. letter today and I guess I'll answer it now.   
I'm planning to see cousin Bill one of these days.  [in Mother's hand writing: probably written when she recorded the letters for Sue and I: "Cousin Bill lives in Calif - He's trying to tell me where they are going."]
So Gus went to Great Lakes.  That won't be so bad.  Not too far from home and the navy seems to be generous with passes most of the time.  I'm wishing him lots of luck.  Hope Jean can continue to take it so well.  Poor Gus!  Missed the last "one" he might have had if he hadn't been so hard to wake up.  Maybe he wore himself out the night before.  He don't appreciate that "stuff" as much now as he will in a few months. 
I'm glad you have your eye on a possible job that you like.  It's always good to have a few cards up your sleeve.  I would be willing to bet that I'll be out of the country by fall, if they don't kick me out at P.O.E. on age or something, and that would seem to fit in very nicely. 
I don't see as the $30.00 difference in pay would be any worry to you.  If you like the work, is the main thing.  How about the hours?  Aren't they badly cut up and last until 9 at night?  I think it's swell.  Good place for you. 
Sweetheart, for a long time, I've been trying to tell you, you were as nice looking as any glamor girl.  I finally found a picture in an artist's model book that proves my statements.  This wasn't any cheap newsstand book either.  It had a price mark of $2.50 on it.  One of the boys had this book, it has a hundred or so similar pictures and I cut this one out.  Looks very much like you, I'd say.  You always try to tell me your bubbles are too big and hang a little too much.  Now what do you think about it?  I think they are dandys and would sure love to have them here now.  Boy, would I maul 'em.  I'm getting in a little personal writing while I can.  We may have censored mail in the new place. 
I guess I better quit for now.  Bye, honey, I'm loving you and thinking of you a lot.  I think I should keep this picture.  It looks so much like you.  You're my wife and I love you so much.
your hubby.
Norm. 

No comments: