Friday, April 22, 2011

Letter # 348 April 19, 1944

April 19, 1944
Wed. eve.
Hello Baby darling;
A week ago at this time I was just getting back here in camp.  I'm getting back into the swing again but I sure as hell miss you.  Seem to miss you more every time I go away.  You'll have to quit being so nice to me when I come home, then maybe I wouldn't miss you so much.  But no matter what I say don't do it.  I love to be treated nice by you.
It's been quite a week, not so much hard work, but boy are they trying to toughen us up.  Today we double timed two miles and had an hour of calisthenics and a half hour of bayonet practice and then worked until noon.  This afternoon we took a 12 mile fast road march, 2 hrs & 35 minutes.  It was hot as hell too.  Must have been well over 90.  Sweat more today than I have since last summer. 
The old man feels a bit older tonight than he usually does.  I'm not the only one though.  Poor Gebby hasn't as yet gotten over his leave and he is really a "Sad Sack" tonight.  I don't know if he did a better job of making up than we did or not.  Maybe he can't take it like we can.  We surely didn't miss many opportunities.  Only one I can remember when we both went to sleep and left the light burn all night.  The way I feel I might do the same thing tonight.  I don't know though.  I have an idea if I crawled into bed with you, I'd get a recharge of vitality from somewhere and show you a little at least. 
You reminded me in your yesterday's letter not to forget to see the Foote boy.  I haven't forgotten but I haven't done anything about it yet, either.  I'm so sure we won't be here I hardly think it worth while.  If I go to town I may look him up regardless.  Can't afford to miss a bet in that respect.  I want to have a place for you to stay when the time comes.  This time I'm going to urge you to come see me.  You promised you know.  You're sweet and I love you.
Leo and his wife had gone home on furlough a few days before I did and she was taken sick in Kansas City on the way back.  Leo had to leave her there in the hospital  and come back.  Then he got a leave to go back and he took her home and left her there.  Someone is teaching in her place.  If we move she won't come back. 
Leo says it is strange as hell to live on the post again.  First for him since last August.  I don't know what her trouble is.  I didn't ask and he didn't volunteer.  Only said she was better but would be in bed for a couple weeks yet. 
Most of the fellows have sent their wives home and either sold their cars or took them home as they had their furloughs.  Wild is about the only one that still has his wife here.  He says she will drive the car home when we move out.   He was showing me pictures of their wedding today.  Apparently a big affair.  She had a real bridal dress with what looked like yards of train spread on the floor around her.  One of the pictures showed the party and all of the women had long dresses.  The men were all soldiers.  She is a darn nice looking girl and built right in the right places.  Don't blame him for keeping her here as long as possible. 
No letter from you today and I'm about run out of chatter so I'll quit and rest my weary bones.  One of them isn't weary.  Hasn't worked for over a week.  Damn it. 
Night sweetheart.  I love you.  Gee I'm glad I gotcha.  You're the best gal I've ever seen yet.  I mean it too. 
Your lover
Norm.

No comments: