Sunday, April 10, 2011

Letter # 344 April 15, 1944

Apr. 15, 1944
Sat. eve.
Sweetheart;
Whew! It's summer down here today and no mistake.  Can sweat just sitting around in the breeze.  Nice fresh breeze too.  That old La. sun is beginning to pour it down again.
Let her go.  I'm almost certain we won't be here very much longer.  We may go someplace equally hot, but at least it will be a change of scenery and maybe a better place for you to come to.  You see, I'm planning on you coming to see me also.  It may not develop but we can think about it and I'm already anticipating - you know what.  After the way you have been the last few times we have been together, I've got plenty to anticipate.  You're swell.  I love you and I'll show you how much if I ever get time enough.  Can't do a very good job of showing when I only have a week or two at a time.  Wait until I have years to show you.  Boy!  Fun huh?
I heard a rather reliable rumor today.  It has it that we will be given special packing boxes for our tools and etc.  They say we are only allowed a specified amount of space on the boats and when our boxes are full - that is all we can take.  It seems to indicate that we are expected to ship over.  It may be but I still bet it will be some time before they get around to it.  I'm still planning to have you with me for a while at least this summer. 
We got off at noon today.  Played ball for a while and since then have been reading a story.  It's good.  Almost couldn't lay it down long enough to write to you.  It's "Trumpet in the Dust" by Gene Fowler.  Story of a young newspaper reporter and it's a bit of a "fuck story".  I think you would like it. I'll send it along with a package of excess clothing I'm going to send home one of these days. 
I got your Tues. eve letter tonight.  You better mean it when you say I'm a darling husband because I mean everything I say about you and lots I don't know how to say.  Besides I think I'm pretty nice too. 
Your experience with the woodpecker was rather amusing.  I can very well imagine how you acted.  Remember the time, over at your folks, we were doing a little loving or petting and a bat came down the chimney and flew around the room until I killed it. 
Too bad about your do dads getting broken.  I doubt if it will happen again in years.  Just one of those freak accidents. 
I wouldn't worry about saying anything about your contract for next year.  Just tell 'em no and stick to it.  No use letting anyone talk you into anything you don't want, at least not until you know what is going to happen to me.  Let time take care of your answer.  If I should be shipped you can make up your mind then what you want to do.  As much as you dislike teaching, I would think you could definitely say no now.  I imagine you can get a job of some sort anytime.  I really haven't much to say on that subject.  You're very capable of taking care of yourself and making your own decisions about what you want to do. 
Shame on you honey.  I thought you weren't going to bawl this time.  I know how you feel.  I could bawl sometimes myself.  This separation is no good.  We're too much in love. 
Maybe the "old thing" can use some rest but it didn't show any indications of wearing out while I was there.  It seemed to be ready anytime I was.  Afraid if the time had been longer, I would have been the one to wear out first.  My "old thing" didn't do too bad either.  He even turned to stone a couple times on the train.  No reason either unless it was habit. 
You certainly didn't let me down at all this time.  I knew you could do it only you wouldn't let yourself go.  Bet you'll keep me hustling from now on to keep up.  Boy, honey.  I'll die happy trying. 
This letter is ending about like yours but who cares.  I think it's a good ending.  I'm loving you and that's part of it. 
Night sweetheart.  I'm dreaming and planning and anticipating. 
I love you.
Your Sargent
Norm.

No comments: