Thursday, March 31, 2011

Letter # 234 March 20, 1944

Mar. 20, 1944 Mon. eve. Hi, Sweetheart; First day of spring tomorrow. It doesn't seem much like it here, more like the first day of summer. It was rather cool after the storm, but it sure warmed up again today. We may have an ocassional cool day for a while yet, but most of them will be plenty warm. We finished up all our work on the tanks and have nearly everything ready to roll tomorrow afternoon. The tanks and everything are in the best shape they have ever been in yet. We may not have too much trouble. The rumor is that we are running this battalion problem, [ the one we've fucked up on three times already] on Wed and from then on it is to be more of a bivouac than anything. Not to be very much moving around. If that is true it will be somewhat of a picnic unless it rains all the time. You can bet we have made all preparations we can to make ourselves comfortable. We have several extra tarpes along to make into tents or to lay on the ground to keep the dampness off. Gotta keep our tools and equipment dry you know. That's the excuse we give for all the extra. We also have a metal tool cabinet mounted on the half track that is supposed to be full of spare parts, extra tools, etc. It does have a lot of such stuff in it, but several drawers are taken up with other stuff too. Candy by the box, cartons of cigarrettes, tobacco, writing material, and anything else we could get we thought we might need. If we miss a meal we won't starve and if we don't see a store or P.X. we won't be without smokes. This maintenance crew will take care of itself if we have half a chance. The barracks this evening looked like it does before a move. Everyone packing barracks bags and field bags and getting set to go. We aren't taking all our clothes along. One set of O.D. trousers and shirt and the necessary work clothes, underclothes, and etc. The rest stays in the barracks until we come back. Even though it is summer my long handled underwear are going along, just in case. It can get damn cold and wet in a hurry down here. I can almost forecast when you have a bad storm up north before the news gets here. We usually get a north wind and boy, is it raw. I got your Thurs. letter today. Your trouble with no letter was probably caused by me not writing while I was in the field. That trip took me by surprise. I guess I didn't warn you as I usually try to do. I had much the same feelings you did after I was tickled to talk to you but the let down later in the day was bad. I wanted to see you and maul you a bit too. We'll get a chance one of these days. I hope. I think it's a good thing I'm not home while the rest of the soldiers are. I don't think you could stand the pace with me there to bother you. You sure seem to be keeping busy. It seems funny that neither Tony or Mick have any sort of rating yet. After going to school Mickey surely should have I'd think. It's the luck of the army. If a fellow gets in the right place he gets a rating, if he doesn't it makes no difference how good he is, he gets no place. From what Tony says it seems that they are doing even less of consequence than we are. I thought ours was bad but that sounds even worse. Think you're being cute don't you? Not telling me what my surprise is going to be. Well I think I have the laugh on you this time. I got a letter from Mom Kelser today, also, and she informed me I was getting a box from her. I may be wrong but I bet that is what you refer to. You're an old tease. [in more ways than one] but I love you all the same. Mom says you are getting along real well but is terribly sick of teaching school and hopes we can spend part of the summer, at least, together. So do I, damn it. I think the army would be a fairly decent place to be if I could come home to my darling wife every night. I miss her so much. Home to me used to be wherever I hung my hat, but now it's wherever my wife is. You're a very necessary part of me, sweetheart and a part I never want to loose or be without. Your letters for the next 10 days may not be very regular but I'll do the best I can honey. Night sweetheart, I'm loving you and missing you. I'm still keeping my legs crossed and hoping. Your sgt. Norm.

No comments: