Friday, March 25, 2011

Letter # 229 March 14, 1944

Mar. 14, 1944
Tues. eve.
I was out in the woods again last night, so no letter for poor Babe. Hell ain't it honey? I really have been falling down on my correspondence the past couple weeks and I guess maybe worse times are coming.
We learned today that next Tues. we are going to take to the woods for 2 weeks. At least that long and maybe longer. Of course, it isn't positive yet, but I guess it's as sure as anything can be in the army. As you've probably been thinking the furloughs are cancelled for the duration of the problem or whatever it is. That takes us up to the 5th of April. If this keeps up I won't be home until you are out of school after all. It's hell, I don't like it much, but I think I'll live. It will be a welcome break in the everyday routine. I think I'll like it. Probably work the hell out of us. Who cares? They can't hurt me that way and boy - do the days fly.
I don't know how often I'll have a chance to write. I'll do the best I can. We may possibly have an A.P.O. address then, but I don't think so. Just keep on using the same one until further notice. There, that's a little news even if not exactly good news.
We had another unsuccessful problem. Got most of our tanks stuck and worked like hell getting them out again. They had picked six tanks from each company in the battalion to participate. Baker and I and one mechanic from another company were the only mechanics. Didn't have any trouble with our own tanks but boy did we have trouble with the "B" co. tanks. We got the last one herded in about 7 this evening.
Real summer today, in fact, it was hot. Must have been about 85. Last night was perfect. Beautiful, clear, moonlight night. Before the moon came out the sky was so full of stars it almost seemed there wasn't room for another one. Then the moon came out and was so bright it dimmed the stars to almost nothing. These nights are really beautiful, sweetheart. What a time to have a nice girl to make love to. Couldn't help but get in the mood quickly. If you do get down here next summer we'll have to try it out. I don't think I'd ever need the inspiration of a beautiful night, but it will be an added attraction.
We were done work by 10 last eve, but it was so beautiful that Baker and I lay on our beds and talked until after midnight. No. Not about what you are thinking either. Girls weren't even mentioned. Believe it or not, it's true.
I sure wish my baby was sleeping by me instead of Baker. Bet it would have been later than that. I think I could have loved you good. Words almost equal to actions. At least I think I could have told you that much. I love you honey, so much and I'm missing you an awful lot.
I got your Fri. letter today and your Thurs. one yesterday. I guess I'd better get to answering them and then go to bed.
Sweetheart, that birthday present you have all planned for me is the best present anyone could ever give me. It's the one thing I want and love most. Gosh honey, that will be swell. I'm sure hoping I will be where I can receive it and keep it with me for a long, long time. Forever, if possible. It hadn't better be too fragile though, 'cause I think that present is in for a lot of mauling, petting, picking, kissing, loving, biting, and lots of other sweet tortures. It wants to be rather substantial to stand all that.
It will be nice to have you for my birthday, but, sweetheart, don't get grey hair if you can't make it on the day. Make it the next or the next. After 7 months a few days won't hurt a hell of a lot.
If I'm not to say something about you saying I'm getting younger every day in looks and actions, I won't say much, only I don't quite know how you can tell. Haven't been able to see me very much for a long time. Maybe I'm kidding you in these letters I write, telling you how young and full of piss and vinegar I am. Then what?
Too bad if it is getting Gus down. That is one reason I didn't jump at a defense job. Didn't think I could take it, especially with all the driving. I got the gloves Vi sent. They're swell. Almost too nice to wear. Save them for a special occasion too.
Did I ever express any doubt that you weren't saving yourself for me? If I did it was unintentional. I've never had the least doubt of it or even gave it a thought. I love you and have implicit faith in your actions. Your tops and always will be.
I have only finished your Thurs. letter but I think I'd better go to bed.
Night, sweetheart, I'm loving you so much. You're my wife. lover, sweetheart, and everything rolled into one nice luscious bundle of loveliness and pulse stirring female. You're my mate and boy do I love you. Lots of loving and kisses to you. Night sweetheart.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: