Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Letter # 214 February 24, 1944

Feb. 24, 1944
Thurs. Eve.
Sweetheart;
I don't know how much of a letter this is going to be. I'm a bit under the influence of beer. I'm not really drunk, just high. We sure had plenty. 6 kegs and 35 cases and I guess there were only about 80 or 90 men drinking it. I bet I had a gallon. I'm so full I fill my trousers in the waist for the first time since I've had them. I'd sure hate to go on an all night party with these fellows. They can't take it. Most of them either passed out or were sick before the party got going good. It sure is a noisy uncontrollable bunch when they get a few beers. Had plenty to eat and drink and had some good music. Got some boys from other companies to come in and had a 5 piece band. A few of them are really good.
Had a menu for each man. I'll enclose mine. It is more a comic than a menu because a lot of the things on it are purely comedy. The girls for instance.
The party is still going, but I got tired of it and decided to at least write a note to you. As you can probably tell, I'm not in very good shape to be writing. I felt like getting drunk and I came close to it. Only wish I could have been getting drunk with you, instead of a bunch of fellows.
We had our big parade this afternoon. Seemed to go off very well. I bet it wouldn't now. Sure is a bunch of Sad Sacks.
I got three letters from you today. Sat morn, Sat night, and Monday. Two air mail and one regular all the same time. I too think the government is screwing us on the air mail. I'd advise using regular mail. I think it is just as fast.
I'm not going to answer much of your letters tonight. I'm going to shave & etc. and go to bed.
I had been meaning to ask about Ed & Betty and you told me before I got to it. Glad they found a place to stay and hope they like it. They have knocked around quite a bit.
Sweetheart, forgive your wayward husband for this short letter. I don't feel up to much more.
I love you, honey, so much. I'm wanting you more and more all the time. Night, darling, I'm loving you.
Your drunk Sgt.
Norm.

No comments: