Friday, March 4, 2011

Letter # 216 february 26, 1944

Feb. 26, 1944
Sat. Eve.
Sweetheart;
Hello. You sweet old thing. I'm loving you as best I can right now. Feel it? I'm not drunk, honey, I just love you and want to tell you so. I had a rather unusual day for me, at least since I've been in the army. Did me good, I guess. I'm all pepped up and nothing to spend my excess energy on. I bet I could do a good job of loving you tonight. I'll tell you about it.
The morning was much as usual except for the inspection. We got up, had breakfast and dressed in our best Sunday go-to -meeting clothes. Made our bed up "short sheet" so they had a white collar. Then laid all our field equipment on the bed for the inspecting officers to find fault with. Everything has to be clean and shining and laid out just so. Lot of horseshit but that's the army.
The inspection got under way. Brownie, being the Sargent in charge of our headquarters platoon, follows the officer with a notebook, making a record of the "gigs". My bed is about in the middle of the barracks and by the time they got to me, I thought Brownie would have to have a new notebook.
They didn't miss a speck of dust or dirt an anything. A slight trace of earth embedded in the wood grain of a tent peg or pole was enough for a gig. Even lifted the mattresses and if there was any dust on the bed rail or slats -- "gig". Spot of grease on tent, ropes, field bag. raincoat -- "gig". Boy they were tough. Foot locker inspection along with it. Everything there has to be in an army prescribed order. Socks here, handkerchief there, towel here, underwear there, and all must be very neat.
Lt. Newberger and Captain Spencer were the inspecting officers in our barracks. In one case they found a piece of thread about 2 inches long under a fellows bunk and "gigged" him.
I had expected the inspection to be one of the regular hit or miss jobs and hadn't been too careful. I could hear the list of gigs for me coming. Much to my surprise, the only gig I got was on my foot locker and they had to retract that.
Remember when we moved over here we mechanics were even without a place to sleep. Well when we did move into the barracks there weren't enough good foot lockers so I took one with no top tray. That was the cause of the "gig". When at my suggestion they checked with the supply Sargent, they found there were no better ones, so little Normie got off Scott free. I still think maybe my "ass kissing" helped there, even if it doesn't help on a furlough.
The inspection was over at 1000 and we worked the rest of the morning. After dinner we had two hours of athletics. Imagine that! Any form of game they have equipment for. I chose soft ball and had a hell of a good time at it.
I'm rusty as hell but so are the others. I played my old 1st base spot. For a while I forgot all about the army and it seemed like days of long ago. Remember how I always hollered and talked it up when I was in a game? Well I soon found myself back in the old groove and the boys got a kick out of it. Didn't think the old man or "Pop" as some of them call me, had that much life left in him. They should see how young I can act when I get with my "best old loving mummy." Anyhow I had a good time. I have heard they are going to have a regular period of games every day possible. I don't expect we mechanics will get in on it very often. Too much work to do. I hope we do though.
It was a perfect day. Like June back home. I was playing without a hat or shirt and I got a slight sunburn on the top of my head. Wonder why? Could it be my hair is thin? Or gone?
Three o'clock and we were off. The ones that didn't have "gigs" to fix up, and I, did another unusual thing for me.
I shaved, showered, dressed and took off for DeRidder to see the bright lights and the gals. The lights weren't very bright but I did see some rather nice looking gals. It's a good thing I'm a happy and securely married man. Married to the best of all the gals, or I might have got my face slapped or I might have gotten something else.
Remember Wild? He is one of the Knox boys. The smarty that was close to beating Ernie and I for a while. I think he is in one of the pictures we took up there. He has been in this battalion but a different company until recently. He has been transferred to this company now. Well, he and I went together.
His wife is coming down about the middle of March and he wanted to find a place to stay. Bet you can't guess why I went can you? I'll tell you later in this letter. We hunted all over town and no luck. Everything full and running over. Go into almost any home there and it looks like a hell of a big family of daughters. Soldiers wives everywhere. I wondered where, in some of these small places, they all found room to sleep. Must have to sleep in shifts or all sleep together and run the risk of getting "splashed". Some of them looked good enough to "splash" if a fellow could get away with it.
We were ready to give up, and the last place we tried we struck it lucky. A girl there is planning to leave on the 12th and they accepted an advance and will hold the room for him. It isn't a bad room, nothing like you had at Wilkerson's, but at least, a decent place to stay. Fairly good bed, couple chairs, a crude sort of wardrobe, and a wash bowl in the room. About as big as our room at home. The bath is shared by several other couples. The landlady seems nice. The room rents for $8.00 a week and it is very close to the center of town.
It isn't a bad town as towns go down here. It's dry so they aren't bothered by a host of drunken soldiers. Some nice stores and some very nice looking homes. Also have a [black] section that looks like Archer Heights used to. I would guess the town to be about 1/2 as big as Medina.
By that time we were hungry as hell so we looked up a very nice little restaurant and had us a T bone steak. $1.50 a plate and no dessert. It was a good steak though. The place was full of Lts, captains, majors, and their gals or wives. A Pfc and a T/4 were rather out of place, but our money is as good as theirs.
Then we set out to take care of my business. You've probably guessed it. I was looking for a present, a birthday present, for a very beautiful, sweet, loving, luscious girl I know back home. She is approaching her 27th birthday, [I think] but you'd never guess she was that old by her looks or actions. Last time I saw her she acted like a bride of 20. I love her. She's my wife and sweetheart.
Honey, I had the damnedest time. Couldn't find anything that excited me in any line I knew anything about, so I finally tried a line I knew nothing about.
I picked out a sales girl that looked like she had a good amount of intelligence and understanding and told her my predicament. Asked for any ideas or suggestions she might have. We did the best we could and that wasn't very good, I'm sure. It was a nice big modern store, apparently one of a chain. She said they had a hell of a time getting anything decent at all. I got the best they had. If you don't like them I won't be at all surprised. I was thinking of you anyhow.
I'll send the package sometime this week if I get a chance. Next Sat. at the latest. The P.O. at this camp isn't open on Sunday. You can see, honey, I had a very unusual and busy day.
It's time for bed now so I'll say bye.
I loves you so much, honey, and want you more and more all the time.
I still haven't answered your letters and I got your Wed one today. Guess I'll have material for a letter tomorrow.
Night gorgeous, I love you.
your lover
Norm.

No comments: