Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Letter # 217 February 27, 1944

Feb 27, 1944
Sun. Aft.
Sweetheart;
Sunday afternoon again. Beautiful day too. Cloudy at times and bright at others. Real warm. Trees are all leafing out, grass is nice and green and people are planting garden. Sure signs of spring. Wrote letters all morning and played a game of ball right after dinner. We played "D" company and beat them 5-0. Could have a very good ball team if we get a chance to play together enough. Plenty of men to choose from.
I guess I haven't any news to write so I'm going to answer this pile of yours I've got here. Didn't get any today.
You say your weekends go whirling by. So do mine. I get up by seven every Sunday and by the time I write my letters and do my chores the day is gone. I have been trying each Sunday to do a little reading. So far I haven't succeeded. The best I can do is look at the pictures in Colliers, scan the Gazette, and maybe read a couple articles in Reader's Digest. Now, if I play ball----well, I guess the reading is out. Oh well, I can do that when I get too old to play ball.
You say seeing soldiers makes you homesick for me. Now you can see why. When I go to town it makes me dissatisfied. I see other soldiers with their wives and having a glorious time and that makes me miss you more keenly than when I stay in camp. Like rubbing salt in an open wound. It's hell. Isn't it, honey? I love you so much.
Flopped again did you? Little off schedule this month aren't you? Should have been about the 18th. Can't blame that on me. Haven't been playing with some truck driver have you? Don't think I would blame you much if you did. Little hard to go so long without at least a little loving, after you're used to it and like it as much as we do.
You asked me why I wasn't very affectionate when you are flying the red flag. You should ask such a question after sharing that night in Michigan. You're so damn blood stirring I can't love you or play with you much, without getting ideas. When I get ideas and no satisfaction I get wild and it's hard to contain myself until the flag sign is right again. If you want much loving from me when you aren't in shape you're going to have to fix yourself so you aren't quite so exciting. Can't take it honey. I had all that kind of misery before we were married. I'll love you passively for those 4 days a month and make up for it the rest of the days.
I don't think you can squeeze me hard enough to make me say "uncle". I'd be more apt to want you to squeeze harder. You feel so good squeezed up tight to me. I like it and am ready for treatment of that kind anytime and for always.
I expect your way of handling Louisa's letter is the best way after all. Give her a second chance and then. It did make me mad for a while.
If you don't get the income tax return by the time you get this letter, it might be wise to call or see him. Maybe he has forgotten. The 15th is close now.
If I were you I'd get your Pop's opinion on the drive soon. If it will hold up O.K. but if it looks bad I'd get some gravel on. I wouldn't expect it to need any, but it's hard to tell. If there is plenty of loose gravel on top yet, it ought to be all right. If you do get stuck someday, don't forget, the ashes or gravel goes under the rear wheels, not the front.
The little "ditties" are all right. Rather cute. The same fault as you found with mine. Expected to read something and then get left in midair. I'll send them back now. I guess they have been copied enough to keep them spreading.
The packages you send have all arrived in good shape so far. You are doing a good job of packing. Everything was swell and we had quite a party last Sunday eve. I told you about it.
I didn't know about Dick Elder being broken. I haven't seen him for several weeks. It's nothing unusual and in lots of cases nothing to be ashamed of. Make one mistake and some officer gets mad enough and you are broken. Anyone can make mistakes. Be funny if we didn't. The whole system of promotions or demotions is cockeyed anyhow. Similar to a union set up. Lots of men that never even get a rating are better then the Master Sargent, but don't get a chance because as long as the top man is at all satisfactory he stays there by seniority. I don't have much respect for the ratings. I like the money that goes with them.
Yes, I'd like to have you chew my ears good, because while you were doing that I could be chewing and petting things I like of yours. I know a couple of nice soft things I'd like to chew on for a while. Of course, I wouldn't stop there but it's all part of my style of loving.
Well honey, I guess I've answered your letters and I'm run down. Going to get my laundry ready to send, shave, shower and etc and then I guess we'll go to a show. Forgot the name. It's supposed to be a musical girl show. Might stir up a good old messy dream. Night honey. I'm loving you and praying something nice happens soon. You're my nicest wife and I love you so much.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: