Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Letter # 219 March 2, 1944

March 2, 1944
Thurs. eve.
My neglected Sweetheart;
I am sorry but I didn't get a chance to write either Tues or Wed eve. That's the worst I've done for some time. This time I wasn't lazy or "fucking off ". I was busy.
I guess I told you we were going to the field Tues. and come in Wed. We came in Wed alright, but with only a very few minutes to spare. Worst time we ever had in the field. It wasn't so much mechanical work, although there was a little of that, it was getting stuck. I never saw so much mud in my life in a place that looked nice and dry. There is a top crust about a foot thick that is dry and will carry a tank as long as it's moving fast but let it slow down or stop and blooie, she goes right down. There is apparently no bottom then. Just soft mud about the consistency of cow shit.
We went out about 50 miles and had no trouble with anything but the half track. [That old girl is just about shot] They pulled the tanks off the road into the bivouac area and then the fun began. Tanks stuck everyplace. By the time we got them all on top again it was dark. By the time we finished our mechanical checking and inspection it was midnight. Had the whole crew too, even Brownie. The cooks gave us a big pot of hot coffee and some cookies for a snack before we crawled in our bedrolls.
We had stopped at a little country store on the way and had some cakes and cookies of our own. Since we have become acquainted with the country we usually manage to drop back out of the column and stop at these country stores and get a coke or something to eat. Newberger & Brownie bought pickled pigs feet and a loaf of bread. The damn things look like hell, but don't taste so bad.
These stores remind me of Poe grocery. Small general stores with a surprisingly complete stock of everything from gasoline to flower seeds. Seems funny, not a house in sight and these stores there all by themselves. There are cabins and shanties around but they are off the road, back in the bush.
When we got up the next morning we thought we had been sabotaged.
Several of the tanks were down four feet and when we parked them they were on what seemed to be solid ground. The crust broke and they settled down.
We started the problem and in a few minutes it was all over. Every tank in the battalion was stuck. Some got a couple miles and others only a few feet. From then [it was 8 A.M.] we worked until 2 that afternoon getting them all back on the road. Build a log road, get one out and try to pull another. Get it pulled and stick the one doing the pulling. It's slow work but we finally built enough log road to get to get them all back on the road again. Broke up most of our tow cables and chains in the bargain. Thought we were going to cut all the timber in La. to make roads. I did more chopping than I've done in a long time.
We were all set to get in, in decent time and then one of the boys ditched his tank to avoid a wreck with another. Took us until nearly midnight to get him out. Boy, what a day. We were all dead tired. Today we were repairing the damages and have plenty left for a few more day's work.
I haven't had a chance to mail your birthday present yet. I'll get it done by Sat. and I guess that will be plenty of time. The army was selling subscriptions to Yank the other day and they can be sent to any address. I bought you a year subscription and it will come direct to you. You can consider it a sort of birthday present. Be sure and tell me when you start getting it. Probably will be several weeks.
I got your Sat & Sun letter right on time [yesterday] but I didn't get any today.
I'll answer this one now. I wish I could have walked around our plantation, as you call it, with you. The first warm days always feel so good. I bet I would have been out looking around at all our things too, if I had been there. The sap business sounds good too. That was one of the last jobs I did before I left last year.
Gosh honey, it's getting close to a year already. In fact, it's exactly a year ago today that I got my notice to report for examination. That was the beginning of the end for us for a while. I hope by this time next year we've forgotten all about it and are back living and loving together again. That's what I want right now.
So you got the picture. I expect you have the explanation by now and know you were wrong on your guess of identity. The bright lights glaring directly in our eyes was the fault of most of it I guess. I thought it was funny.
Well sweetheart, this isn't much of a letter after missing two in a row but I'm a little off the beam tonight. I'll get to writing a love letter again one of these days. This Sat-Sun letter of yours was a dandy. You're doing very well with long distance loving. The words are the right ones, but I sure wish I could have the opportunity to see if you live up to my "fondest hopes and expectations." Add these things you tell me to your actions and you'll get a good loving. I'd be a wild man. Bite, chew, kiss, bang. tongue, and everything.
Night darling. I love you so much. I'm hoping and dreaming of seeing you. You're my wife and sweetheart. I loves you.
your hubby
Norm.

No comments: