Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Letter # 232 March 18, 1944

Mar. 18, 1944 Sat eve. Darling; Not a whole lot happening right now to write about. No special news or anything. We worked all day except for about an hour this afternoon when we had another inspection of field equipment. Just to see if everyone had enough to go to the woods for a couple weeks. We have most of our work done but not all. We may have to work at least part of tomorrow to finish up. They changed the day of going out from Monday to Tues. but we have some sort of gun firing exhibition to attend Monday so we probably won't have much time to work. This letter is apt to be short. I want to catch up on a few other letters I have here before we go out. Don't expect to do more than write to you while I'm out. I forgot to say, they have issued orders, saying it will be for 10 days only. We will be back in on the 31st. If they don't change their minds. This morning the mechanics took calisthenics with the company again. Every so often someone gets a bug and decides that we should. It usually lasts a few days until the loss of time makes itself felt on the condition of the vehicles and then it's called off again for a while. I really don't mind, in fact I rather like them, only it's hard to do a full day's work afterward. They sure keep a fellow in shape. I know I'm not in nearly as good shape now as I was last summer. I got your Tues. letter today. I'll answer it now. Glad you got your oven fixed. It was nice of Art. I had thought of telling you to ask him to do it, but I knew he wouldn't accept any pay and I didn't like to ask. They have already done so much for us. You are having quite a busy time aren't you. Entertaining and being entertained. Sounds somewhat like last fall when I was home. Have a time, honey, and enjoy yourself all you can. I'm going to quit for tonight. You're being slighted in favor of others. I'll write you a good one tomorrow - maybe. I love you, sweetheart. Night, mummy, I'm dreaming of you. Your hubby. Norm.

No comments: