Sunday, March 20, 2011

Letter #225 March 8, 1944

Mar. 8, 1944
Wed. eve.
Chubbins, darling;
I guess I fucked up last night when I wrote more than I intended to. I should have saved some of it for tonight. I didn't get a letter today and I don't have much to say. Unless I get an inspiration and get going on something, I'm afraid this letter will be a short flop. There are plenty of things I have meant to write about and didn't get it done. When I want, I can't remember what they are.
I'm getting started a bit earlier tonight. I did read for a while only I quit early. We are getting up at 4:30 so I thought I better go to bed.
I guess they are going to run off this battalion problem that they have been postponing for the past weeks. It will take place Friday and Saturday. I hope they don't change their minds again. Maybe when it's over we will get an idea of what is going to come of all our rumors. I think they will at least hand out some furloughs then.
That problem [if we pass the test] is supposed to be the end of our tank training, at least here. We are to turn in all our vehicles and equipment and be ready to move. Understand, all this is only rumor. If we do turn in our tanks, the chances for a high rate of furloughs is good. Let her go. We might at least get a change for a while.
You may be short some letters because of the problem.
I'm wondering about that Friday letter you didn't get. Like the other one last fall. I don't know what was in it. Only a usual letter and nothing important I imagine. You'll probably get it sometime.
We aren't the only ones having that kind of trouble. Over a month ago, Gebby sent his wife a $100.00 money order and she hasn't gotten it yet. The P.O. is tracing it now. I hear of a lot of similar cases, so I guess we are lucky at that.
Now, what the hell do I write about? I've used up all my news and rumor department material. Should I say, I love you and let it go at that, or should I write a naughty letter or----? Don't think I better get too naughty. Make me homesick. It isn't spring that's bothering us, honey, we're just hurtin to see each other.
I've just been looking at my favorite pictures. The ones in the folder and the ones I put in the billfold. Gosh, sweetheart, you look good. You're beautiful. No wonder I love you so much. Couldn't help it even if I wanted to . I remember when I first started asking you to go out with me. I fully intended you to be only a buddy and companion. Somehow or other, something slipped and I wanted you for more than a buddy. It only took you six months to make me love you and find it out. Remember when I found it out? Put-in-Bay. July 4th weekend 1937. I can still remember Ed saying after we came back that the few days of play did me a lot of good. Thought I had been working too hard and was tired. He didn't know but that wasn't at all the reason. Took more than rest to make me feel all bubbly inside. I was discovering that I was in love with Babe and liked the situation a lot.
It's still the same, honey. A look at you, even if it's only a picture, gives me little thrills and I begin to bubble inside. I can't decide just why you should have so much affect on me. There are plenty of nice things about you, intelligence, looks, sweetness, understanding, faithfulness, generosity, physical attractiveness, and others, lots of them, but none of these things seem to be the whole reason. It must all seem up into the fact that you are you and you are exactly made to specifications to suit me 100%. I sure was head over heels in luck that night I told you I loved you and you grunted your acceptance of the fact and went back to sleep. [or at least acted like you were asleep]. You devil.
That was the only time I can remember when you really disappointed me, honey. I had been thinking about telling you and trying to get enough nerve to do it for quite a spell. I guess I expected a little more reaction than I got.
That vacation week that followed had me going. Then you more than made up for it when I came back. I won't forget that day very quickly either. You acted as glad to see me as you did these times since I've been in the army. That fixed things up in good shape and made a happy boy of me. I still am a happy boy about it, only more than at that time. Since I haven't had you I found out how much more I loved you than I thought. I love you so much, sweetheart.
There, I guess I wrote a letter after all. It is mostly in the past. It's nice remembering the good times we had and will have again in the future. I'm loving you so much sweetheart. You're tops. You're my wife. Night honey. I loves you.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: