Friday, March 11, 2011

Letter # 222 March 5, 1944

Mar 5, 1944
Sun. morn.
Hello. My loving wife;
I'm starting this before mail call and dinner. I may play ball this afternoon and I've also got a book I'm trying to read. That's another activity I've recently taken up again. since we've not been working so hard, I've been staying up later and doing a little reading. There are usually a good supply of pocket editions, magazines, and Wild West books in the trash box and when I have time I take my pick. It isn't very high class, but you know me. I'm not very high class in my taste of reading material, especially not now. I just want a little entertainment. This evening I expect, Gebby, Baker and I will go to the show again. Baker says that is standard operating procedure these days. Since we got our drag and can get in without so much trouble, it's nice to go.
Baker doesn't really look like that crazy picture I sent home. He is a bit of a "dandy" but really not at all effeminate. Good fellow. 21 yrs old, red headed, freckled, blue eyed, med size. and good build. He's from Kansas, very near Kansas City. His father is an oil well driller and he helped when he wasn't driving truck. He did that quite a bit. So you should have a better understanding of him. You like truck drivers. He's somewhat of a jitterbug. Played drums in a local American Legion band and also a dance band. Says he liked to dance too well himself to do much playing. He also likes roller skating and is a good ball player. He's the third T/4 in the mechanics. He was at Fort Knox the same time I was, but for wheel vehicles so I didn't know him then. He's a bit girl crazy, [but who down here isn't] and I imagine a wolf even in civilian life. You'd like him. He stays in with us old bachelors. Says he doesn't see much worth going out for, down here. He's got a gal back home. Maybe that is the reason.
Gebhardt is older, 26 I think, married and is satisfied with his wife as I with mine. From her picture, she is a sensible, good looking gal.
Gebby is a 6 footer and weighs the same as I. Dark headed, blue eyed, good looking fellow. Lives in Kansas City and used to be radio and parts man in a Chevrolet garage. He is T/4 radio mechanic here. He also was at Knox. Went a couple weeks ahead of me and left that much sooner. I saw him a few times up there. He was in my company in the old 80th. Intelligent, good natured, easy going fellow. Good company. The three of us usually stay in camp all the time. Baker and I sleep upper and lower in the same bunk and Gebby is upper next to me, so we have become steady pals and usually go together when we do go places.
Gebby's wife is apparently independent like my wife, and she is keeping their apartment. Staying by herself part of the time and part of the time another war widow stays with her. She has some sort of secretarial job and from what Gebby says is making more money than he did. Sounds a lot like us doesn't it?
She has been down to Shrevesport twice when he had 3 day passes. It's only about a 10 hour trip from Kansas City to Shreve and as often as he can get the passes he can see her. We would too if you were that close.
Today is another beautiful summer day. I've just stripped to my shorts and am laying here in the warm breeze of an open window, writing to my honey.
No ball game today. Not enough men in camp to play. This was pay day week and they are all out "hunting."
Brownie, Mac, and all the rest are gone. As Brownie says, to find some meat for his tiger. Mine is hungry too, but I don't think he'll starve. He'll get well fed up again one of these days and he won't be "stealing" his meat either. It's his and he doesn't want any other.
I didn't get a letter today but I still have some of your Wed one left to answer.
You say you haven't even seen a truck driver [damn it] since I was home. Must be you really convinced them you were happily married and weren't open for any prospects even though you are man hungry. That's good honey. I couldn't blame you if you did step out. I know how you feel but I'm sure glad you don't. It's very satisfactory to me to know my wife belongs to me and is waiting for me. I'm probably selfish but I love you so much I'm selfish and jealous both.
I'm glad to hear the drive is holding up in good shape. I rather though it would unless it got unusually wet. That's another thing you won't have to worry about. You're getting along swell all by yourself. I'm proud of my wifey. She's an unusual girl. I love her.
As the song goes. I wish I could seal myself up inside this letter and when you opened it , I'd jump out and kiss you as you never were kissed before. The same goes for loving and everything.
Bye for today sweetheart. I'm missing you a hell of a lot. Loving you more and more all the time too. I'll be ready to bust by the time I see you. Don't squeeze too hard right at first honey, or I might explode. Happy birthday you gorgeous old thing. I'm loving you.
your loving sgt.
Norm.

No comments: