Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Letter # 224 March 7, 1944

Mar. 7, 1944
Tues. eve.
My darling wife;
Honey, you're going to have to do something about me, train me better or something. I've gotten into the habit of laying on my bunk and reading until time for lights to go out and then I get around to writing to you. Then I hurry through my letter and don't do you justice. I always was a damn fool when I got started to read. Can't quit and do things I ought. I remember the time I got to reading at home. You'd urge me to come to bed for a while and then give up and go by yourself. Hell of a note, wasn't it? I bet you couldn't go to bed without me now. At least not for a while. You're very nice to go to bed with. It's fun to catch you stooping over, nearly undressed, and "pull" the big, soft things. It's still more fun if I can get undressed first and then get you at the same disadvantage. Can't run when you are taking off your socks or have your panties half off. Boy, what I wouldn't give to have the old days come back right now.
We had fun, didn't we, sweetheart, without realizing it? I guess the saying, "Never miss the water till the well runs dry." is plenty true. Betcha we have a lot of fun making up for it, one of these days.
Just think, honey, some of these days, I'll be home and disrupt your comfortable, undisturbed,
unhampered way of life. I'll be there every morning wanting my breakfast, dinner, and supper, making lots of dirty clothes for you to wash, holes in socks for you to darn, dirt for you to clean up, doing things you don't want me to do, and even causing you to do things you don't want to do, coming to bed, after you've gotten all settled with a book and teasing you so you can't read until you satisfy me and then next morning start the whole thing all over again. Does that sound very attractive? It better damn it, cause it's going to happen. It sounds damn good to me, and it should. Most of the good things are on my side of the ledger.
I can't offer you anything but love baby, but, honey, I've got plenty of that. I'm not forgetting that I've promised to try to turn over a different leaf. I loved you before. This time I'm going to try to tell you as well as show you. I'm selfish there too. I'm remembering what effect you said that would have on you. I do love you, honey. So much it hurts. That can be taken two ways.
Nothing much happening here. They don't know what to do with us and are only trying to keep us busy and kill time. Training shows, classes, retreat, parades, and anything to take up time.
Good thing there isn't much work or we'd be swamped. They are taking up so much of our time with this stuff we don't get much done. You know the army says that a regular system of checks are to be preformed on the vehicles even if not used. The paper work, [records] must look good, regardless of anything.
Mac and the two T/5's have been attending classes, learning to shoot the mortar and rocket gun. That leaves Baker, Brownie and I to do the work.
Hope they make up their minds soon and end this uncertain, rumor filled period. I can well imagine it would be a relief to you as well as us. Poor Babe. This war is hell on the gals back home. Wish I could do something about it for you, but I can't. I sympathize and love you, if that helps any.
Back on the old mail schedule again. No letter on Tues. I'll probably get your weekend one tomorrow. I've got one and part of another yet to answer. Here goes.
"I'm all yours"--- Honey, you don't know how much those three words mean to me. I haven't the ability to tell you either. I still can't understand how I rated so much good luck. That would be enough good luck to last a lifetime. You're swell, honey. I love you. There are a few more words I think a lot of also. Wife - sweetheart - lover. Gosh, honey, they make me want to go out and win this God damned war by myself. I've got a lot to look forward to. Ain't I the lucky guy?
I guess you have all the business and bills under control. Nothing more until my life insurance in July. That you can either pay or send to me - or maybe we'll be together then - I hope.
You never did say that you had plenty of coal. That is the only other thing I can think of.
That little speech of Kelly's about the swearing tickled me. Rather complimentary but misplaced. I must have been largely on my good behavior when he was around. Wait until I get home after talking G.I. language. His "Auntie" saying it wasn't nice also amused me. Wouldn't he be impressed if he heard you cut loose as you can on occasions. Make a good top Sargent envious.
I'm like you, honey. I never gave a thought to telling you I had been using and liking the presents you sent for Christmas. You told me that the things I sent you were entirely satisfactory and I was satisfied with that. I'm glad you really do like them and can use them. I'm dumb when it comes to female things. That's something you'll have to teach me sometime.
The lighter you sent is a dandy. I've been using it when I go on the bivouacs. It attracts a lot of attention from the boys. Most of them never saw one before. I'm the only one can light a cigarette in these open air vehicles when we are moving along. It gets used you can bet. I've been wearing the belt all the time for dress. The dog chain is in reserve for a special occasion. Guess what occasion? I am also saving the billfold your folks gave me for that same occasion. If you remember, it had three places for cards and licenses and etc. Sunday I got it out, and now that we aren't to have identification of any kind on us, I put the windows to another and better use. Bet you can't even guess. If you can't you aren't as egotistical as you should be. I put some pictures of you and our home in them. If we should happen to ship, I don't want all my pictures so I picked out 6 favorites and will have them with me. Yes. One of them is the "titty one", another , the one you used on the Christmas cards, three of you inside the house, and one of the house itself. I'll also carry the folder so you'll be with me no matter where I go. You're my wife and I love you and want you with me.
Did you ever get the auto license I sent?
Our food is still much the same as always. Plain, healthy grub and no frills. Pies and cake a few meals a month, but not much. Ice cream for dinner on Sunday. The navy has the reputation of eating and dressing better than the army.
You're doubting me when I say I won't want to eat before I love you. Go ahead and doubt but don't be surprised if I fool you. Remember! Shall we eat or shall we love? Eating was always last. You aren't the only one with an urge. I doubt if spring has much to do with it. I lay it to being separated too damn long. It is now the longest we have ever been apart since we first started "sparking".
Those "sparkings" sure started a fire didn't they? I'm still hot and the fire burning as fiercely as ever. Steam up and ready for love. Whoopee, sweetheart, look out for that "door" you ran into last summer.
It's getting late, honey, and I need my sleep. I'm run down anyhow. Guess I almost got started on a naughty letter didn't I? I'm a devil. I like my lovin', even if only imaginary.
Night, honey. I'm dreaming myself to sleep thinking of you. Sometimes it gets nearly real---nearly---damn it.
I love you so much my 27 yr. old wifey.
Your adoring hubby.
Norm.

No comments: