Friday, March 25, 2011

Letter # 228 March 12, 1944

Mar 12, 1944
My one year older wife;
Hello sweetheart, I love you, so much. I'm starting this real early, about 8 A.M. It may not make much sense, because I'm in the telephone office, trying to get a call through to you. They say there will be from 1-2 hr. delay. Maybe I won't get through, before you go to church. No special news I wanted to tell you or anything like that, only to wish you a happy birthday and talk direct to you for a little while. Wish they had television working. I'd sure like to see you. Probably call you out of bed and I'd get a real eyeful. Just as well they haven't, I guess, cause then I wouldn't be able to talk.
I can't wait much longer than 10. They decided at the last minute to send a few tanks out again tomorrow and I'm supposed to be working now. I "fucked" off and said I'll do my work later. I've been planning to make the call for a long time. Wanted to surprise you. Hope it works.
I was here a few minutes after the office opened and already there was quite a waiting line. Quite a popular place, I'd say. Calls going in for every state in the union. Seems impossible that they could keep them all straight.
I guess I'll be in the field again tomorrow. These tanks that are going out are supposed to be enemy tanks for another outfit. Mac and two others are going to gunnery school so that leaves Baker and I. I imagine both of us will go. As far as I know it is only one day.
The boys that went on furlough are due back today. Soon know if a larger number are going each time or not. Personally, I can't see why they don't send us all home at once. Could as easy as not.
I'll answer your Tues. letter now. Should get one or two more to answer this noon.
Louise wrote a rather decent letter this time didn't she? At least gave us the news and stuff. Sounds like they are having a real time. More power to them. When Mickey is through at school it might be different. He can be sent anyplace. I hope he does get his furlough. They are still mighty nice things to have even if they have been together nearly all the time. Just like vacations.
Tony got his furlough, good. I wish I could have been home to see him. We only missed a few days the last time, if I remember right. Glad to hear he is looking so much better. Maybe he is over the bad part. I also envy them their life together. It would sure be nice. We had a short time at it and honey, I sure liked it. I'll sure appreciate it, if we ever get another chance. The only thing I want more than that is to get this business over and come home permanently.
Gus is really in - too bad. Give him my best wishes and lots of luck. Sounds like it was going to get them all. Have lots of war widows for companions.
Well honey, I guess that about covers your letter. It's getting late. If my call doesn't go through soon, I'm afraid I'll have to cancel it and go to work. I tried anyhow. I'll write some more on this tonight or sometime. I love you honey. You're 27 years old, gorgeous, sweet, and everything. Looks like and acts like a 20 yr old bride. You're my wife.
Sunday eve
We didn't work very much after all. Looked 'em over, nothing much wrong, and Brownie said, "Fuck 'em". So we quit.
I've had a short nap. Imagine that, me sleeping during the day. I guess I really needed it. I really hated to get up this morning. Lately I've been doing like I did at home. Going to bed rather late every night. Then being in the field and bouncing around over the landscape for two days, I was really tired and didn't know it until I got in bed. Then I died.
In fact, I've been feeling good ever since I talked with you. Gosh you sounded good to me. Made me feel so good even to hear you talk again. If they would let me, I think I would have talked the rest of the morning. Like you do at home. Sure was tickled I got through and you were there. Even anticipated my call a little. You're a devil but a darn sweet one.
If it wasn't for the time involved, I'd do it often. It kinda gets me to wait around for a call to go through. The cost isn't too bad, $3.80 for the 5 minutes. When I had called you before I was always expecting to see you soon and didn't appreciate it so much. Hope I can call you again soon and have good news to tell you. I love you, honey.
I got your Wed. letter this noon. Mick and Louise home too. If they hadn't mixed us all up by this alert I'd have probably been home too. That would have been fun. I'd like to see them all again. This time my leave will be so short it's just as well if there aren't too many to see. I'd like to see all our friends, but I've one person I want to see a lot of and most of the time alone. I've got a lot to tell her and show her. Gosh, honey, I can't seem to write after talking to you.
I'm going to say bye for today. I love you so much, honey. You're a darling. You're my wife.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: