Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Letter # 218 February 28, 1944

Feb 28, 1944
Mon. eve.
Sweetheart;
Hi Darling. How's my honey tonight? Beautiful, sweet, and lovable as ever. I bet. Tomorrow is the last of February already. Leap year day. If I was home maybe you could ask me again. You did last leap year didn't you? Took advantage of me didn't you? Well, I'm glad. I like to be taken advantage of when I get something as nice from it as I did that time. Best thing ever happened to me. I'm only sorry I can't be with you and enjoy you and make you happy. I love you, you nice old devil. You're tops.
Well, I finished my school again today. Can't say as I learned very much. I did pick up a few more tricks. Always something a fellow can learn from or about engines. Don't think a man could learn all there is to know about them in a lifetime. Always something new.
Baker, Gebhardt, and I went to the show last night. "Broadway Rhythm". It was very good. Lots of gals, nice ones too. Lots of music, comedy, and to top it all off, it is in color. Gebby, that's Gebhardt. and I almost had to hold Baker in his seat. The gals got him. Especially some real young one I've never seen before and don't know who she is, dressed in brown shorts and close fitting white sweater. Not bad. You know I always did like close fitting dresses and sweaters, if the gal wearing them has the proper contours. My wifey has them and I don't mean maybe. Ginny Simms played the lead. She can sing.
We have a pull to get in the show now, rather Gebby has. The manager of the shows here in camp is an old friend of his from Kansas City. We go up and if he's there Gebby gets the tickets ahead of the line and that way we get in easily. That's why we've been going so much lately. Don't have to wait in line for an hour or two.
We're supposed to have a ball game again tonight, but the other team couldn't get around. I wasn't too sorry. My arm is a bit sore from the last two days anyhow.
We go to the field tomorrow afternoon for an overnight bivouac and come in sometime Wed. I don't know if I go or not. If I do------no letter to mummy. Poor mummy. She gets neglected quite a bit doesn't she? I'll try to make up for it when I get home for always and don't have to talk to you and love you by letter. Piss poor way to love a sweet wife. Doesn't seem very personal. I like to be where I can see you and hug you an' everything. Times a coming, sweetness. This won't last forever.
I see by the paper today that the recent survey by the manpower board revealed the fact that 900,000 single and non fathers were still at large and they are thinking of doing something about it. Hope it gets going soon enough to save fellows like Gus Maitland.
Darling I guess the regular mail is best for us to use. I got three from you today. The Thurs. one and the income tax paper at noon and your Friday love letter tonight. That puts me up to date and back on schedule. If you remember, your Thurs. letter was the only air mail one. Maybe they try to send them by plane and they are so loaded they can't take them all. I'll start sending mine "free' again. Tell me how they do.
I guess if I'm going out tomorrow I'd better answer these letters in full tonight. They are such nice ones. I shouldn't let them cool off in any case. Who says you can't write love letters? I've got proof in these two that you are very good at it. Almost as good at writing love as you are in person, and baby, that's going some. In person you're the best loving ever came down the road. Remember?
I signed the tax form and looked it over. That form isn't as bad as I expected it to be. Any tax form that nets us $83.00 is a very good form. As you say, that is a receipt for 83 bucks worth of something very nice for us. Almost enough for another honeymoon. That'll be the day honey. I'll be loving you good.
Now for the love letters. Boy honey, they make me feel good. Sure glad I gotcha. You inspire me. More ways than one, too.
Honey, you're being too cautious. Taking Pop along for protection when you went to see Snedden. I know you're tempting as hell and would want you well protected at night, but in broad day and in town----- Only a hungry wolf like me would need watching then. I'd attack you most any place.
Even if you do say it yourself, I know the new dress and captivating hat look good on you. I'm as anxious to see you wear it as you are to have me see it. I'm anxious to see you dressed or undressed or anyway. I want to see you.
It is tough as hell to be separated when we don't want to, so bad. It can end anytime and I'll be more than ready to come home and pick up where we left off. I don't like not having you a bit. I can't live without you, but sure can live with you. In a couple years we will have forgotten most of the pain of these times and we may be a little more in love with each other for it. Most things seem to have a good side even if we can't see it at the time.
The funny books and magazines go over very well with the fellows also. I always leave my magazines in the day room when I've finished them. I think the boys buy as many funny books as any other type magazine. Maybe the "girlie" books have the first place, but not by much. I like the old standbys and most of the books are new and silly ones.
You're wrong honey, I'd miss breakfast for you anytime----if necessary. I remember you did fix me some breakfast before I loved you last time I was home, but do you remember who suggested it and even insisted mildly, that I should eat a little something? I did but I don't remember taking too much time about it. That time it had only been six weeks since I'd seen you. I'd be harder to feed first this time I bet. Maybe harder in other ways too. Whoops. Gotta quit dreaming.
Brownie's story about his hash slinging girl wasn't meant to reflect on the profession. It's only that most of the girls down here in places like that seem so much more sloppy and dirty than we are used to. I've seen some good looking hash slingers but I bet you were as captivating as any of them. Some of the uniforms I've seen really fit and you are the gal to fill them out so they rate a couple of whistles.
I see the rumors I write you have an effect. Don't let them influence you too much. You have heard enough of them to know how few of them are true. I only write them because I'm trying to give you the news and not because I put much faith in them. 99 out of 100 are wrong. The latest is that as soon as this battalion test problem can be run the percent of furloughs will be greatly stepped up. The rumor says 40% of the company at a time. Sounds like one of those first 99 to me.
Don't be worrying your pretty head about anything that I need or might want. I've got plenty of money now and can get anything I need here, now. The only thing I'm really hurtin for is something money can't buy and stores don't sell. You're that illusive commodity. What I need is a furlough so I can look you up. I loves you, honey. I will holler if I need anything. Haven't I done that ever since I've been away? Keep you busy doing things for me.
I'm glad you like my letters and think they are improving. They didn't seem to be to me. I only say what I'm thinking about. I'm usually thinking of you and that's what comes of it. If you like it, that's all that's necessary. I'll keep on telling you.
I love you so much I have to get some of it out of my system somehow. Letters aren't my preferred method by a long way. Until a better way comes along, I'll have to be satisfied. We'll make up for it. That's another promise.
Night sweetheart. I'm loving you so much. You're my favorite wife. You're my only love. I'm petting you, honey.
your adoring Sargent
Norm.

No comments: