Thursday, March 10, 2011

Letter # 221 March 4, 1944

Mar. 4, 1944
Sat. eve.
Darling;
I don't know how this letter is going to turn out. There is a poker game going on here beside me and it's rather distracting. Too much noise. I can't concentrate on my writing and that is one thing I have to do if I write a decent letter.
We didn't do too much work today. First thing this morning we went on the firing range to fire a new gun the army has out. It's a 45 cal. and built to take the place of the sub machine gun. Damndest looking thing, for a gun, I ever saw. It looks more like a grease gun than a weapon. Very small and compact, built especially for tankers. Has no stock like guns we know. Only a wire stock that slides up along the gun when not being fired. Open battle sights, only good enough to sight in the general direction, like a shot gun sight. Fired at bobbing, half size man targets at close range, 50 yards. I made 19 hits out of 25 shots. Not good and not bad. I imagine it is a good combat gun. Full automatic, firing about 500 shots a minute.
The rest of the day we spent cleaning the shop and etc. Were off at 3 and, strange as it seems, are off tomorrow also. That makes 3 weekends in a row. Can't believe it. First time that has happeded since I've been in this outfit.
I went to the post office and mailed your birthday present. Hope you can use them. I'm doubtful. Anyhow I'm wishing you a very happy birthday. 27 yrs. old already and still a girl of 20 in looks and actions. In fact, as I remember you at 20, you are much prettier now than you were then. Nicer in lots of other ways too. I'm in love with you and wish I could be with you to celebrate. Guess we'll have to put it off until your 28th birthday. I won't forget that you expect to collect double either. If I can't pay off in one way, maybe I can in another. You're sweet honey. I love you so much.
I got your Tues. and Wed. letters today. One this noon and one tonight. That puts them back on the fastest schedule we ever had, air mail or otherwise. Guess that proves the air mail was a waste of money.
I'll answer your letters now. I'll probably get another tomorrow to answer then.
Too bad about Gilbert Combs. I always rather liked him. We did quite a bit of work for him. Things like that are bound to happen I guess. I was reading some figures the other day on casualties in the armed forces, taken as a whole, in battle and in camp, as compared to those in civilian life, and the figures are surprising. The percentage is only slightly higher in the armed forces. As you said, there is no "safe" place.
You hadn't told me Kenny Kirk was home and I didn't know it either. I haven't seen or heard a thing of him since last June. I guess he is still with the 8th. They are on maneuvers in this area now. Have been for a month. They expect to finish about the first of April. Must be the 8th is giving furloughs right through maneuvers. It isn't unusual in some outfits.
Go ahead and get tight and have all the fun you want to. I do when I get a chance and feel like it. Just so you save a little of the old spark for me when I come home. I'll be ready for it I bet. You old devil, you know darn well you wouldn't do anything I wouldn't approve of. I've got a very swell and loyal wife. Never worried a minute about what you might do. Some fellows say their wives are always doing something they don't like. No trouble like that in my life. She usually does exactly as I want her to. She's sweet and I love her so much.
I see I'm not the only one that can't do much writing after a party. I don't blame you. I know how you feel. When you don't feel like writing, don't do it.
I'm certain I wrote you a letter on Fri. Maybe by this time you have it or maybe it will be like one other. Came 6 weeks later--Remember? I always tell you when I miss writing so you will know.
Glad you heard from Louise. She was very prompt this time. Maybe if she did write you a letter before that one, that might explain a little that one. She might have been peeved that you didn't answer.
I sure would be glad to help Pop get his sugar house built and also help as much as I could with the rest. I always did like that job. Like the syrup too.
There are a lot of things being left to the future and lots of them aren't work of any kind either. Know what I mean? I mean loving --- you and I going to take a long time to catch up on all the things we've been unable to do.
You're sweet to say I didn't need to get you a birthday present, but you know darn well you'd have been at least a little disappointed if I hadn't. After all you've done for me I'd be letting you down, wouldn't I?
I had a little more than an impersonnal interest in the room hunting, if the truth be told. I might still be here in June----get me? I even told the landlady I might be a prospect if the army didn't move me before summer. She said to let her know in advance and it might be possible. I'm "busting buttons" too. Have been for some time, but if we don't get a break, I guess we can stand it somehow. At least it's way past half the time gone and we're still living and yearning----but plenty.
The interference is getting the better of me. Night sweetheart. I love you. You're my sweet wife, whose having her 27th birthday and getting nicer and sweeter every day. I loves you Chubbins.
your soldier.
Norm.

No comments: