Thursday, March 10, 2011

Letter # 220 March 3, 1944

March 3, 1944
Fri. eve.
Sweetheart;
Don't have much news from here to talk about. A regular day at the shop. Called us off early to see a picture on first aid and then we were done. Also called us up early this morning to get our "booster" typhoid shot. Most of the boys are not using their left arm tonight. That's why I'm glad they don't affect me much. My arm is only slightly sore.
The latest rumor is. We are going on 3 weeks maneuvers next week. I wouldn't be too surprised if we did, but not so soon. Maybe by the first of April. Let the country dry out a bit. I think they would be rather fun. Only trouble they would stop furloughs again. Anything that does that I'm not in favor of at all. I'd sure like to get home and see my wifey for a few days. It's hard to leave again but seeing you for only a short time is worth a lot to me. I miss you, you old devil, I love you.
I didn't answer your weekend letter very thoroughly and got your Monday one today, so I guess I'll do that now.
By now Ed & Betty are probably settled in their new home. I hope they like it and the job turns out to Ed's liking. I imagine it's a little far from home for Ed, but he should be used to that by now.
Don't you be wearing that pretty black & white dress out. I want to see you in it. I can imagine how it looks but I want to see. I don't care about seeing you in it when I first come home. I like you in a bathrobe too, but you always did look so nice in black. At least, that is my opinion.
I'm sorry I can't write you the news you want to hear and let your passion start really boiling. I think I could take care of you for a while. I'm kinda boiling with pent up love too. I've just been counting the months on the calendar. Do you realize that when this Wed. comes it will be exactly as long since I've seen you as it was the first time? Boy, when I think how we loved that time in Ky and then think that we haven't been caught up for a year. I wonder how we'll act this time. We got something to look forward to and I don't mean maybe.
I didn't know Jack Thomas had enlisted. When I talked to him last he was going to stay out as long as possible. I guess he and his wife didn't get on too well and he probably did it after a scrap.
I'm glad you found the La map. I know I left it home even if I was wrong about the place. I can't always be right. I don't know what you're talking about when you say I didn't know what I was doing when I was home. I must have known because I remember nearly everything we did. I'll never forget it honey. It was one of the best two weeks I ever spent. We did a little work and a little going, but mostly we were loving. I'm looking forward to another time like it. If it doesn't come before this business is over, we'll have it after I get home for good. Take a couple weeks, live on my wife's money and spend the time loving and getting acquainted again. How's that sound?
I don't need any more dog chains or anything. I haven't been wearing them at all. Carry them in my pocket, so I haven't used the one you sent me yet. Saving it for a special occasion.
McDonnell is the fellow I refer to as Mac. He's the fellow that was T/4 when I came back. The one we had to go out and get a couple months ago. Remember?
Don't worry sweetheart, all my real stepping is yours as long as you want it. I'm as much in need of some "stepping" as you are. As long as you can save yourself for me, I sure as hell can save myself for you. Beside that I'm very dubious about anyone being able to please me very much. You're the best ever came down the road.
I'm going to remember that you are expecting to collect double on your birthday when you see me again. I'll even try to make it triple and you better be ready to accept.
Honey, I'm ready for you to be my teacher again, anytime. I promise to be a very willing and apt pupil, but one thing I will insist on is a place very close to my teacher. I've had enough of long distance stuff. I like to be able to pet you and kiss you and everything. I love you. You won't need to keep me under lock and key. You'll need a pry to get me away from you.
I won't make it too much of a surprise when I come home again. You'll know I'm coming if there is any way to let you know. That would be quite a shock to just drop in when you thought I was down in La. yet.
That last sentence of yours, "Come on home honey, I'm waiting for you." ----- is almost too much. Damn near make me go "over the hill." From past experience I know what that means. I can hardly contain myself. "You're so nice to come home to." Honey, my imagination gets away from me. Out of control and in a tailspin. I'm very much in love with you.
Night honey, I'm going to my lonely bed now. The bed's all right only I don't do anything but sleep in it and all alone. Not my idea of what a bed is made for. Not any more. Since I've known you I've found a better use for it.
I love my gorgeous wifey so much.
Your hubby
Norm.

No comments: