Friday, March 25, 2011

Letter # 227 March 11, 1944

Mar 11, 1944
Sat. eve.
Chubbins, darling;
It's late and we only got in a short time ago so I don't know if this will be much of a letter or not. Depends on how I get going. I didn't get one written last night. You probably know that by now, or have at least surmised it.
We didn't have too hard a time of it. Worked until about 10 last night and then had very little to do but ride around after the tanks all day today. It was on our way in that we ran into trouble. One developed a plugged gas line and we had a hell of a job getting it fixed.
The battalion problem is over at last. At least we went through it. I haven't heard the umpire's decision as yet, but I think it was all fucked up. We'll probably have an additional 30-60-90 days of additional training now. That is the way they have been doing. Reach what was supposed to be the end of our training and then they add some more on. I don't care much as long as they move us out of here.
I've still got an itchy foot, [as well as an itchy half foot], and would like to have a change of country. It's been swell down here the last month or more and I rather like it, but summer is coming close down here. Then I won't like it. If it wasn't for so much cut over, burned area full of charred stumps and stubs it would be pretty. The grass is greening nicely, trees all have tender, fresh leaves and there are lots of wildflowers and trees in bloom. A few are familiar and a lot of them are strangers. There are a lot of dogwood trees, all in bloom now. They must be a somewhat different species from ours. The blossoms are the same only smaller. The trees grow differently than ours. Different arrangement of limbs and different bark. I also found an abundance of spring beauties and violets. They are much bigger than ours. Looks like hot house flowers. I brought in a couple violets in my buttonhole and am putting them in. Don't expect them to be very nice when they arrive. Only a whim.
Seems to be about two months ahead with spring down here. I mean ahead of up north. They tell me that the better sections of the state, east and south, are really beautiful this time of year.
I got your Tues. letter when I came in tonight. I haven't answered Monday's, yet. I will now and then quit for tonight.
I know what you mean when you say the time really does go fast in some ways, while in other ways it drags. It always drags when one is waiting. That is what we are doing the most of - waiting until we can be together again. We're so much in love aren't we sweetheart? Like a couple of kids, instead of old married folks.
I guess by this time you have your birthday offering. I hope you aren't too disappointed with them. They surely aren't worth "splitting your britches" as you say.
Ordinarily the Yank is a G.I. paper. They had an offer to anyone in the service to subscribe and have it sent to any address. I thought you might enjoy it.
Night sweetheart, I'm tired and going to bed. I'll write you a good one tomorrow. This is a fake. Lots of paper but nothing on it.
I'm loving you honey, and hurtin as much as you are. I'm sure hoping it won't be too long before I can get you within reach again. I'll love you and squeeze you and tell you good.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: