Monday, March 28, 2011

Letter # 231 March 16, 1944

Mar. 16, 1944 Thurs. Eve. Sweetheart; Not working tonight. We have caught up slightly on our work and are going to take it easy tonight. We may need our rest next week. Have a big retreat parade tomorrow evening. They say it will be the entire 21st corpse. That will be something. It's going to take place at the airport so we must need room. We will all carry our guns and be in full dress uniform. It makes quite a picture, but it's a hell of a lot of trouble. No letter from you today. First one I've missed for several days. The service is sure better this way than it was airmail. I have your weekend letter here to answer. I'll do it now. There isn't much of anything new to talk about. I really had intended to get down to see Lloyd Phinney again but now it looks rather doubtful. Lot of things to do getting ready for our field trip. Honey, I think you must really have liked the phone call. I know I did. It thrilled me so I couldn't settle down all the rest of the day. Seemed like something wonderful had happened or was about to happen or something. I think you know what I mean. From the tone of your letter, I would say you were feeling about the same. It was so wonderful to talk to you again, even if only by telephone and for so short a time. Think I could have talked for an hour and listened to you for a lot longer than that. You were very sweet. You may not remember much of what I said, but I can almost quote what you said. I wasn't conscious of you doing most of the talking, but if you did I'm still satisfied 'cause I wanted to hear you talk. That's why I called. You surely sounded good natured, bright, and wide awake for just jumping out of bed. I bet you would have been even willing to love me that morning without too much urging. I bet there would have been plenty of nice things to see as you answered the phone too. Nice, loose clothes, easy to slip a hand into. Wow! Honey, what a wolf I'm going to be. Seems like you had plenty of celebration for your birthday. I too, wish I could have been there so there wouldn't have been anything missing. Busy days ahead and not much sleep for Babe. I can see that. If you keep on , sweetheart, things will be reversed when I get home. I'll be the sleepy head and you the one that wants to keep going. You aren't the only one who has been dreaming about having the car with us when you come to see me. I've been toying with the idea for a long time, but never said anything about it. I was waiting to see how the tires would hold out and etc. That is why I suggested a while back that if you could buy some by hook or crook, to do it. It sure would be swell to have it. It was like yours, only a dream, but a promising one. The big catch is tires and you driving all that way by yourself. If my furlough should happen at the right time we could come back together. I had also thought of maybe buying an old wreck wherever I might be. We'll dream and wait and see. It's fun to dream anyhow. Especially about things that concern you and I. You're the nicest dreaming material ever was, honey. I can dream about how nice you were and are, about loving you, about things we will do and just lots and lots of things. It's no shit, darling, I don't think I spend a waking hour without thinking and dreaming a little of you. I think I'm in love. Don't you? Gosh, honey, from the sound of things, I would think our friends are making up for some of the loving we are missing and getting results to boot. Marg & Helen McFadden. Wonder what's the matter with Garnet? Too tired? You mention the dishes. You almost got some more only I didn't remember what you already had. One store I was in had a fair stock of Fostoria glass, but it beat the shit out of me to know which ones to get. I'm dumb about such things. Don't get too used to doing your reading in bed honey, 'cause when you come to see me or I come home, there are bound to be time when I'll want to interrupt and want some attention. You used to call me a pest when you wanted to read and I'd be teasing for a little of "it". Roll up close to your back and pinch and feel. Those were the days. Boy. Why do you have to be such darn nice loving? I haven't heard or seen anything of Ernie since the time I wrote of. He is on maneuvers with the 8th someplace in the La, weeds. I have been forgetting to tell you to say hello to Mick & Louise and give them my best wishes. I imagine you have done it anyhow. You're usually way ahead of me. You're nice. Very satisfactory person to have for a wife, secretary, or whatever. Beside being capable, you are gorgeous, beautiful, exciting, and oh boy, can you put out the loving. Best ever came down the road. I'm going to quit for tonight, honey. I'd like to keep on telling you things and talking to you all night, but I get tired of writing. Not too satisfactory. Night sweetheart. I love you so much. I'm yours and always will be. I'll be showing you one of these days. Your hubby. Norm.

No comments: