Friday, March 25, 2011

Letter # 230 March 15, 1944

Mar 15, 1944
Wed eve.
Hello Honey;
We worked late tonight. It's almost 12 now, so I don't think this will be much of a letter. We are trying to get all of our equipment in as near A-1 shape as we can before we go out on this two week maneuvers. If we do a good job now we might not have quite so much trouble when we get out. No doubt but there will be plenty anyhow.
As I understand the procedure, these short maneuvers are a lot tougher than long ones. On the long ones they go for two or three days and then have a break for two or three days. That way they have time enough to catch up on all the work. This one that we'll be on will be mostly on the go. Very little break or chance to catch up on the work. I'll know more about it next week.
No news or excitement so I'll answer as much of your letters as I can. Got your weekend one today.
I guess you can gather from Mick & Louise experience on the train that I wasn't exaggerating or kidding you very much when I advised against you trying it. It would wear my honey out. If I had known how things were going to turn out, I probably would have let you come at Christmas. I really did expect to be home by this time. My mistake.
I guess it doesn't make much difference though. Even if I had seen you then, I'd be just as wild by now. You see, I'm a glutton. I want you all the time. I love you so much sweetheart.
I'm really not sorry that you are tied up and can't come down here. I still hate to think of you living here, but I'm done trying to keep you away. I want my mummy and if she's willing to come I'm more than willing to have her. I'm still hoping to be out of here though.
Wild is back with his wife. The room was waiting for them. She hasn't had time to see much yet, but says she is satisfied as long as she can be with him. I haven't seen her. This is what he says. They drove an old Model A Ford down. His land lady told him to be sure and tell me that if I wanted one also, to let them know a couple weeks ahead and she'd try to accommodate me. See, I'm making preparations way ahead.
Don't misunderstand me honey. I'm not urging you to come now or any time for that matter, but - It sure would be heaven for me to have you here. That's no shit.
Sweetheart, I knew you could always use stockings, but I couldn't get anything very good and I sure didn't know much about color, size, sheerness, or anything. If they are all right, I'll have to give the salesgirl credit. I took her word, mostly. I'm glad you like them. You're very nice to buy presents for. Always seem so pleased about anything. You're sweet. I love you too.
Sounds like Mickey got into a nice branch of work. About in his line. If he would be stationed in Penna, it would really be something wouldn't it. Almost home.
I did forget to say. The captain told us that after the maneuvers there would be more furloughs granted. If we wait long enough and keep hoping it will come someday.
Judging from your Sunday letter, I'd say you enjoyed the phone call as much as I did. It was so good to hear your voice again. [still wish there had been television]. Next best to actually seeing you. You must really have had a premonition. Hearing the phone right off that way. Guess we're still tuned to the same wave length. I'm sure glad I didn't disappoint you. I like to do things you like. Must be 'cause I love you so much.
I'm going to quit for now. Need my sleep.
Night honey. You're a very appreciative wife. I love you so much.
Your hubby
Norm.

No comments: