Monday, February 28, 2011

Letter # 213 February 23, 1944

Feb. 23, 1944
Wed. eve.
My loving Wife;
High sweetheart. I neglected you last night and don't even have an excuse for doing so. I wasn't working. I went out stepping. There was a Camel Caravan show here on the post and we decided to go. We did but it didn't do any good. There was a hell of a long line. We thought we might be able to get in so we waited in line for nearly an hour. We got close enough to see the door and they closed them. Theater full. Guess we were in the mood to do something so we went to Leesville and looked around. Went to a show. "Government Girl", had a bite to eat, got a screwy picture of us taken and got back to camp about 1 this morning. I had a notion to drop you a line but gave it up.
I'll send the picture in another envelope . It's one of these 2 minute affairs and screwy. The fellow on the left is McDonnell and the one on the right, Baker. It's good of Mac, but the lights blinded Baker or something. I don't think it's bad of me either. If the guy had taken ordinary pictures I would have had one made. We had it taken just for orneriness. I would like to get the whole crew together sometime for a picture. Wish these damn people would let us have a camera like they did at Knox.
We ran into another interesting character last night. This time a girl of probably 12 yrs. She was waiting on trade in this restaurant where we ate. To hear her talk you would have sworn she was at least 20 or more. We sat down and Baker decided to play the jukebox. He dropped his nickle on the floor and this little gal stepped on it and Baker had to tell her it was his last one, before she would get off. Then she wanted to know what we all wanted. While we looked at the menu she asked, " Are you all rebel or Yankee?" Without waiting for an answer she looked at Baker and said, "You all are rebel. I can tell by your talk." It happens she was wrong. He's from Kansas and has a slight drawl. Then she wanted to know where Mac and I were from and carried the talk like she was well acquainted and a lot older. When she made out the check she said, "Don't forget to leave a tip." She got it. 25 cents. She had stayed by our table and batted the breeze all the time we were there. I kinda got a kick out of it.
There, see? You have your 8 yr. old boyfriends so I'm looking at 12 yr. old girl friends.
Sweetheart, I really went to town with the idea of finding something for your birthday. Damn these towns anyhow. All they have is trinkets and things that wouldn't interest you at all. I was hoping maybe I'd be getting a three day pass soon and get to a bigger town. I may yet. I'll keep on looking.
I haven't as yet heard anything definite about what we are supposed to be doing now. We haven't been told we are off the alert or anything. They did give furlough to the few men that hadn't been home in the past 6 months. That is all so far. We aren't doing much but cleaning up odd jobs. Tanks aren't moving at all. The company is having classes all day like we did in basic. Quit early and have a ball game and then retreat. They are talking about a softball team. If I can work it I'm going to try to get in on it. They may not let me because I am one of the working men. It's all right when we aren't using the tanks but if we get busy again they may tell me to stay at work. I think it would be fun for a while. Long time since Ive played ball.
Tomorrow night we have a big beer party here at the company. Supposed to be 6 kegs of beer and lots of things to eat. Sounds like a big time coming up. It'll taste very good too, if it stays as warm as it is today. I'll drink a few for you. Bet I get almost drunk. Can feel it coming on.
I'm going to another of these half ass battalion motor schools for a few days. Same civilian instructor and much the same material we had at that one I fucked up on shortly after I came back here last fall. It is only supposed to be for a few days. The camp is trying its best to make a mechanic of me, looks like.
I got your Friday letter yesterday. Didn't get any today though. I hope you aren't taking my telling you when and what letters I get. I'm not complaining or urging you to write. I'm just telling you so you'll know I'm getting them. I know I like to know you are getting mine. You do a very swell job of letter writing. Even when you re out until way late, you still take time to write. When I'm out late I neglect you and go to bed. You're a peach honey. I love you so much. You're my wife, that's what.
I'll try to finish answering your letters now.
Tony's experience is like mine and I guess all the rest of us. Expecting to be moved or be shipped all the time and very seldom anything happens. Australia wouldn't be a bad place to be. Think I'd like that. I've seen pictures of some damn nice looking Australian gals. Course they can't compete with you, but they are nice to look at anyhow. In fact, it's getting so most anything in skirts looks pretty good. I'm like the country rube in the big city looking at the buildings. Only difference I look at the gals. See one and I watch her as far as I can see her. Course I always did see most of them but I didn't stare like I do now. Guess women are rather important after all. I know one that sure as hell is important to me. I love her.
I'm glad you would sooner have your Sargent then all the commissioned officers in the world. I know I'd sooner have you than any other gal and when you feel the same-----boy, ain't it wonderful. We're in love and happy about the whole thing.
So now you have another mouse for someone to remove for you. You're quite a trapper.
Dreams are so foolish, sometimes and other times so nice. Imagine me coming home and only saying hello to you and not even wanting you to quit teaching. If you can imagine anything like that you don't know me as I am now. I'd sure do a lot more than say hello. In fact I'd probably forget all about even saying hello. That would be a very unsatisfactory greeting after 4 months. I surely wouldn't want you to be teaching if there was any way to get around it. If you had to I might even tag along and help you. Bet that would work good. Kids would probably learn something not in books.
I'm wanting to see you a hell of a lot and I don't mean maybe. About one more week and it will be as long as it was the first time. Seems like I was very glad to see you then. I can remember that day as clearly as if it was yesterday. Boy! It was swell. You were so beautiful and you loved me so much. Another time is coming and it is going to be every bit as tender, loving and exciting as that one and maybe more so. I'm primed and ready any time they decide to give me a leave. I'll be on my way as fast as I can go.
Well, sweetheart, it's bed time. Night, honey. I'm loving you and dreaming and it isn't about only saying hello. My dreams are mostly day dreams and a lot more loving, exciting, and, I think, closer to the actual than merely saying hello.
I loves you darling, you're my wife.
Your lover
Norm

No comments: