Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Letter # 194 January 31, 1944

Jan 31, 1944
Mon. eve.
My Darling Wife;
Here it is the last of Jan, in fact it is nearly the first of Feb. as I write this. I went to another basketball game, this time because I wanted to, and then we had a party in the barracks.
I got Tib's box today. It was swell. Not a crumb left. Baker said it was nearly as good as he could do - Brownie damn near choked getting the first piece down fast, so he could get a second. Says he is a judge of angels food cake and this is as good as any he's ever eaten. I can also heartily endorse it. You can see, it was well received. I'm just telling you this, this time. I'm not giving you credit for it. I'll get a letter to Tib someday.
After the party I retired to the day room, and had me a grand time with the funnies and papers. Knowing how fast I read the funnies, you can guess what happened to the time.
Went to the show last night. "Allie Babba and the Forty Thieves". Maria Montez & Jon Hall. Good entertainment and very beautiful. It's in technicolor. Even the gals were beautiful. It's harder to get in the theaters here than it was at North Camp. The show starts at 7 and we went shortly after six. The line was so long already that we would never have gotten in if I hadn't cheated. It's called "bucking the line" in the army. A fellow I know quite well was in the front of the line so I stepped in with him and got tickets for the rest of us. The place was already so full we couldn't get seats together. I don't believe all of that line got in for the last show. This trying to go someplace in camp is like going to a very popular amusement park, back in the gay 30's. Way too crowded to suit me.
The eagle shit again today. Early this month for some reason. I don't care. They can start paying every week if they want to.
I went back to being a mechanic today. Did a 50 hour check on two tanks. We are caught up for the present and are beginning to have time to take care of the little things that prevent big troubles.
Heard a report or rumor today that this battalion is only allotted 35,000 gal of gasoline to finish our training here. That probably sounds like a lot to you, but it only means about four trips to the field for the whole battalion. Our own company will use about 2500 gal, each trip. See where the gas goes.
Honey, I almost had that 3 day pass today. Remember? I told about the incident with Angie and Lt. Newberger. Well I guess he had arranged passes for all of us. Baker & Mac to go tomorrow, Wed & Thurs. and Brownie and I to go Fri, Sat & Sun. I wasn't very wild about it but was going anyhow and spend the time on a trip to the Gulf and maybe New Orleans. The battalion commander stopped it. Said it couldn't be done while we are on the alert. I wasn't much disappointed but the others sure as hell were. I hope I have better luck when the furloughs come around.
I'm enclosing a picture I saw on a magazine. It looked so much like my idea of you doing the same thing, I bought the magazine so I could send you the cover. My plumber wife. I loves her a hell of a lot.
I got two letters today. Your Thurs & Fri ones. I'll start answering them now and finish tomorrow.
Sweetheart, I think I know what you need to calm you down and make you less "crosser'n hell". I bet you need the same thing I do. A couple weeks of intensive loving and everything would be rosy again. Take it easy, honey, and don't let 'em get you down. This will all be over someday and then we will be together again and can help each other over the blue spots. I know you can help me over most any kind of rough spot in a hurry. Forget all my troubles. I loves you honey. The deal between Geo. Fulton and Pop seems like a good one. I was thinking about that and wondering if he would tackle it alone. It's a hell of a job for one man. I was wishing I was there to help. I always did like to make syrup. If things work out right I might be able to get in on a little of it yet. Don't think I'd be much help though. I've got something a lot more important to take care of when I get home. Sugar making can wait until I have more time. I'll be making Sugar, but it won't be maple sugar. It'll be my sugar momma.
Don't you be worrying your pretty head about me going overseas, until it happens. That account you spoke of also said the great majority of the men would be under 30. Remember, I'm an old man and they may kick me out at the last minute. Anyhow, it wouldn't be much different than now. I might as well be 15000 miles away as 1500 when we can't be together anyhow.
I'm very much of the opinion that I will get home again before, in any case.
I love you darling. Night sweetheart. Imagine a nice big hug and lots of kisses and things that I'm trying to send you. I loves you so much.
your soldier
Norm.

No comments: