Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Letter # 193 January 30, 1944

Jan, 30, 1944
Sun. morn.
Hello Luscious;
I didn't get up until nearly 8 this morning, had a good breakfast, bought my Sunday paper and have been laying here reading ever since. Lazy aren't I? Got a little tired of reading so I decided to write my sweetheart. Always fun to have a little talk with her. I love you darling. Did you know?
I got myself another haircut last night. I slipped one over on the army. I left it go for 20 days and got away with it.
Then I spent most of the first half of the night writing letters to people. I guess I'm about caught up again. I'm only puttering along at this letter now, killing time, until mail call. I don't have any news to write about. I used all that up in last night's. I have a letter of yours to answer and expect another this noon, so I guess I can find plenty to write about.
I've got several more Yanks saved up that I'll send to you one of these days. I'll probably also send along the notebook I had at Knox. It's no good to me here and there are a few things in it that might be useful at home. It's too much trouble to tote unnecessary stuff along on these moves. Get my belongings down as small as possible, before we move again.
The mail call sounded and I damn near broke my neck getting down off this upper berth and outside. I wasn't disappointed either. Got your Wed letter. Mail is a day behind this week. Usually get your Thurs. letter on sun.
We still aren't really settled in the barracks yet. I don't have a foot locker so I'm still digging into a barracks bag every time I want a pair of socks or anything. See why I'm getting rid of all extra stuff. If we keep on moving it may be that way from now on.
Oh, honey, I forgot to say. There may even be a few packs of gum in that package. Have to keep that pretty mouth in good shape. Some day I'm going to be kissing it again.
Now I guess I'll answer your letters.
Honey, you don't want to make such uncertain statements as this one, "Don't even have a good man to sleep with." You know, being a man of very suspicious and jealous nature, I might take it that you had a man, but not a good one, to sleep with. Then maybe I'd go out and find me a poor substitute to sleep with. It sure as hell would be a poor substitute. They can't match my own wife. She's a dandy. I love her and everything.
There are a lot of war prisoners down here. Have them doing road repair jobs and things like that. As far as I can see they have a pretty easy time of it. Seem to be happy about the whole thing. Mostly young fellows. Look about the same as any cross section of our own army.
I don't know what balled up the works [on your monthly period] but it sure as hell was balled up the last time. I'd sure like to ball it up again, but balling up permanently, as you said, doesn't sound so good. That would mean too damn many kids. I might be able to stand one or two, but beyond that-----.
Honey, aren't you twisted a bit on your weather report? I can't believe it was 78 degrees. That would be summer. I think you must have meant 68 degrees. 78 degrees would be warmer than we've had it here.
So you're "crosser'n hell" sometimes are you? That must have been early in the morning. That's the only time you used to be that way. Would even snap at me then. After you were up a while and had your coffee you were usually your old sweet self.
It is kinda cute coming from a kid of that age. Guess you must need a husband as much as I need a wife. I know I am sometimes a little more cross grained than I used to be at home. That's saying a lot but true, nevertheless. This living without you is rather hard to take. Sounds funny for me to say things like that doesn't it?
Haven't you ever heard the expression, "Cold cock them and let them lay."? It simply means, knock them out and let them lay where they fall. Callous expression isn't it?
My cold didn't develop and I'm feeling swell. Not even a sore muscle from the march yesterday.
When I woke up this morning I had a very stiff muscle but it wasn't from overexertion. That stiffness is from no exercise at all. Do I have to explain any more? All I need is a couple weeks with my wifey and I could cure that trouble. Have a lot of fun in the process too.
Well honey, the chow whistles are beginning to blow in the other company and I guess ours will be very soon. I'll quit now. Bye sweetheart, I love you so much.
your lover
Norm.
Here's that letter of Steve's. Bet you thought I had forgotten it. I only answered it last night.
I loves my wifey
Norm.

No comments: