Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Letter # 197 February 3, 1944

Feb 3, 1944
Thurs. Eve.
Hello, Baby;
I really don't know what I'm going to write about tonight. I can usually think of something, but tonight my mind seems blank. No reason either. Haven't been working so very hard, not a bit tired, feel swell and everything. Wish you were here. I think maybe I'm in one of my lazy moods. I guess lazy isn't the proper word. It's one of those infrequent moods when I didn't care about doing anything but sitting and maybe talking a little or dozing in a chair. All unbuttoned and relaxed. Not a thing on my mind. That's why I said I wish you were here. Bet I'd snap out in a hurry then and be ready to do something. Think I would be in favor of going to bed real early and love at a slow pace for a long time.
Of course, I don't think I would love slowly for a while right now, but I was comparing my mood to identical ones when I was home --- long ago. I loves you honey. Wish it was possible for you to be here all the time. I'd probably be too busy or too tired or something to pay you as much attention as you deserve, but it would be a lot of comfort to me, to have you here any how. I like to see you, talk to you, have you around, feel you, love you, and everything.
You are such a nice, comfortable person and, at the same time, you can be so exciting and disturbing, it's hard to find any words to say what I want to. All I can say is, I love you , want you, miss you, I glad I got'cha and I'm positive I'll always feel the same about you. Does that give you any idea of how much you mean to me? I don't think it would if you didn't feel the same way. We'll show each other when we get the chance and keep on showing each other from then on ----.
I didn't get a letter today so I don't have anything to answer. This letter is going to be a fizzle, I know. What we both need is a nice long furlough, to give us a rest from letter writing.
I'm keeping my fingers and everything crossed, hoping they get us off this alert and start giving furloughs again. When they do, you can bet I'm going to start asking and keep on until I get one. If I get one in my turn [as they were given last time] I'll have to wait quite a while. I was nearly the last in the outfit, before. I'm hoping I can talk my way in ahead though. Being married, I have a chance and I think Lt. Newberger will do all he can to help. I'm not really planning on them shipping us, you see. I will try to get one as soon as possible now, and that will just about break in half the time until you are free again. I am planning and praying we leave here and then I'll be very agreeable to your coming to stay with me. If we are still here, I won't be much in favor of it, but I won't do as I did at Christmas. Won't object again. You know what it is, at least I've tried to tell you, and you can follow your own judgement. Sure would be swell for me. You would be taking the beating.
It's kinda like the story of the gal that said she'd walk 5 miles or even 10 miles, but damned if she'd walk 15 miles to keep any man from getting a dose. I've said no, two or three times now. Ask again and I won't object.
I don't know what brought this on. Guess I was thinking too hard, trying to find something to write about, or maybe it's because I was looking at some of my pictures of you and desire ran away with me.
Anyhow, you can remember this as a warning. You are on your own from now on. I know you'll be sensible and think about it, before you do anything.
We are still picking up odd and end jobs on the tanks, getting them all fixed up in good shape, [we think]. Probably all break down when we go out again. I guess we are to spend a good part of next week in the field. Hope the weather stays like it has been recently. Just dandy. I cut the weather report from the Alexandria paper and am sending it along.
Alexandria is a small city about 50 or 60 miles north east of here so it's probably nearly the same as our report would be here. I don't know if you ever found it or not but I left a map of La in the bookshelves by the telephone. Top one, right side, I think. Thought you might be interested in seeing where places I might mention were.
Sweetheart, this has been a rather pointless, rambling letter, so I'll stop it now.
If you're like I am, it doesn't matter much what the letter says. Getting one is the only thing that counts. Of course, it's nice to read all the nice things you say about me and I do like to know what you're doing. Still, I'm very happy, before I even open the letter. I heard from my wife. It does mean a lot. I love 'em.
I love you. You're the nicest thing ever came my way. I'm gonna keep you too. Night Chubbins, I loves you so much.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: