Friday, February 18, 2011

Letter # 203 February 12, 1944

Feb 12, 1944
Sat. eve.
My lovely wife;
Our winter weather has moderated a little. Really felt good to wear underwear and field jacket all day. The wind is so raw and cold. Get in the sun in a sheltered place and it's like summer.
We thought until noon that we were to have another weekend off, but that was too good to be true. Restricted us this noon and orders came out tonight, that tomorrow is a duty day. The problem the other day fucked up somehow and we go out and do it over tomorrow.
I wasn't much surprised. We've had two consecutive weekends off and that is the most we've had since I've been in this outfit.
It'll be only for tomorrow. We'll be in sometime late in the afternoon. We worked a full day at the shop, fixing up small troubles that developed on the last run and, once again, C company comes through and has all its tanks ready to go out. Hope we have as good luck as last time.
I got a letter from Steve and one from Vi today, but none from my honey. This mail service is terrible. Vi's letter was mailed on Thurs. by regular mail and I got it this evening. The last I have from you is your Monday letter and all of yours are air mail. That's the second time recently that the same thing has happened. I'm beginning to believe the extra cost of air mail is wasted. For comparison, tell me how the two I mailed to you last night arrive. One air mail and one free. I'll bet they get there the same time.
I was rather surprised to get a letter from Steve so promptly. Thought he would be too busy to write. Maybe love has changed him also. His letter is written on Yosemite Lodge stationery. Says he was there skiing and he didn't do so good. Sprained an ankle rather badly I guess. Mentions going places on Sat & Sunday--zoos, tennis tournaments, beaches, night clubs, and etc. Says it's his idea of the way a war should be fought and then gets serious and reckons we'll have to pay for things we don't do when we should and then adds that he is going to keep playing as much as he can. Sounds like he isn't very badly overworked and is having a good time. I don't believe he works as much in the army as he did at home. He sure can do it and get away with it. He even mentions "we" several times in his letter. Meaning his gal and himself I take it. I won't bother to send it. I've covered all he said.
Don't you wish your dreams had come true and you had him for a husband instead of old, drab me? You can wish it but you hadn't better tell me so or I'll quit sending you gum. I loves my old mummy. She's swell.
I fooled the mailman this time. I have one of your letters to answer even though he didn't bring me any today. I'll answer it now.
I wasn't very much concerned about the mice smelling up the place, but I'm glad you found a man to do it for you. If I had come home I'm afraid the mice would have been forgotten anyhow.
Don't worry honey. As soon as any furloughs are given again I'll be asking for one and keep on asking until I get one. I don't know how much luck I'll have, but I'll sure as hell try. I'm eligible for one now. Four months since the start of the last one. Of course, there are at least 50 or 60 men still ahead of me and unless I can buck the line, it'll be a while yet. Only about 10 men every two weeks can go on furlough. That might mean three months before my turn comes up. This alert rather balled up the works. No one has gone since the first of Jan. It would be swell if I could get home soon, because, as you say, it would break the long stretch until summer.
Well, no use talking about it. If it happens, swell, if it doesn't----- we'll make out.
Damn it honey, I know damn well you'd go through anything to be by me. You're that way. I don't think it fair to ask that much. As I said before. You are on your own in that matter now. I won't say a word against whatever you decide to do.
You're not the only one who does a little bragging once in a while. I never miss a chance to show my wife's picture and talk about her a little. I was showing my collection to a young fellow from Maine the other night. He's a very nice looking big athlete. Doesn't smoke, drink, swear, or anything, but is still a man. Rather serious minded. I came to the folder and handed that to him. His first remark was, "Why she's a good looking lady," just like it was hard to believe that I had such a nice wife. We all laughed and he realized how funny it sounded and he hastily said, "Well, she's pretty and so capable looking." I agreed and told him he couldn't even begin to value you from your picture. So there too. That is as exact as I can remember the words.
I've been telling you you're nice and beautiful and capable and you brush me off. Maybe you'll believe me soon. I mean all I say. Wait until I see you. I'll show you and make you believe it.
I love you so much. You're my own sweet wife an' everything.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: