Thursday, February 3, 2011

Letter # 196 February 2, 1944

Feb. 2, 1944
Wed. Eve.
Dearest Tootsie Wuggles;
Ground Hog day again. Did he see his shadow? He surely would have seen it down here, but I don't think they have such critters. Never saw one. In fact, I've seen very little animal or bird life of any kind here. Only snakes and bugs. The boys that have been out over the state say the eastern part is much better. Rice farms, cotton & fruit and they say the rice fields are alive with ducks, geese and other birds.
Our nice weather is still holding. I discarded my heavy underwear a couple weeks ago and haven't had them on since. It still rains occasionally but hasn't gotten cold at all. I'd guess it to be about 50 degrees in the morning and up to 75 degrees in the day. If all winter would have been like this it would have been swell. It begins to look like spring is here in La. Days are noticeably longer. Only just got dark and it's 7:30 already. They better hurry up and move us if they are going to. I can almost feel that hot summer sun already. In case we are still here when summer comes, I'd hate to think of you coming down here. I know you'd melt. Poor honey. I'd always be stinky, salty, and wet too. Wouldn't even be nice to cuddle up to. Wish they'd move us to the mountains or way up north.
Speaking of birds. Have you ever seen any around our bird feeder? I guess that was a flop for everything but looks. I'll have to try another kind next time. I still think it was a good idea. Never get wet or snowy, but the birds don't like it.
We are really getting our work at the shop caught up. Since the boys went to Texas for gunnery school, the tanks have not been moved and that also helps a lot. We are all caught up on major repairs and are now taking each tank and going over them, fixing the little unimportant things. I spent all day straightening fenders, ammunition racks, painting rusty spots, and things like that. We are already about 10 days ahead on our 50 hour checks and looking for things to do.
You see, after ever 50 hours of operation a tank is supposed to be thoroughly checked by a mechanic. Since I've been in this outfit we haven't had time to do that. Kept us plenty busy keeping them running, without looking for trouble. If we can keep that far ahead and get the checks made, we'll be able to save a lot of hard work. The old saying, " A stitch in time saves nine." The army calls it preventative maintenance. Anyhow, we now get time to take a break, now and then and are beginning to do a little playing. Like we used to do at the store. Horseplay. We quit on time, noon and evening. Seems good for a change. Hope it continues. Aren't I getting to be a lazy devil though?
Good thing I've got a capable wife to take care of me when I come home. Maybe I can even get to her to get up first, tend the fire, and call me when breakfast is ready. You can keep your job and I'll stay home and mow the lawn and hoe the garden if I'm not too lazy or tired. What do you think of that?
I could even do the sewing now. I just finished sewing on some buttons and patching a big rip in the back of my shirt. Very neat job too. Glad you can't see it. I had the whole ass pocket ripped out of my fatigues last night and after looking at it for a while, I decided it was too much work to sew it up. I took them over to another fellow in another company who used to be a tailor. He has a sewing machine in the day room and makes a spare time business of sewing for the boys. He sewed my pants up all right. It only took about 5 minutes and he charged me $.50, so I did my own sewing tonight. I know if I'd figure my time it would cost as much, but what the hell? My time isn't worth much these days.
If I had my honey down here, it would be worth a lot. Remember how I used to go without dinner at Knox, so e could get in early to see you? I loves you sweetheart.
I got a nice, long two day letter from you today. A six pager and you wrote it all on Sun. night. I'll answer it now.
I'm curious to know which tire it was that gave out. It's not important but I'm wondering if it was the Dunlop tire. If it was, I'm not surprised, because that is the one we bought on our first trip to Michigan, way back in '39. Remember? First time I ever really went to bed with you. You weren't much good, but it sure as hell was thrilling or upsetting or something. Wow!----
About vulcanizing the tire. If it's at all possible for you to get a new one, I wouldn't do it. Remember the trouble I had with the one I had vulcanized.
You are turning out to be a trapper after all, aren't you? Two mean old mice at one time. Pretty good I'd say. If I were you I wouldn't depend too much on me getting home before they begin to smell. Why don't you throw trap, mice and all out? Traps only cost a nickle apiece.
Maybe if you would write to the president or someone and tell him you want me to have a furlough so I can do away with your mice, it might help. I'd sure be glad to "come right home", but I might forget all about the mice when I got there. I know damn well it wouldn't be the first thing I'd do, or the second either.
Oh. Oh! I can see right now, I'm not going to come out even on this paper. Afraid I won't be able to fill this sheet.
I guess there isn't much you can do about the moles. They are rather hard to do something about. The weather being so mild gives them a good chance. You can't do anything until spring. Then rake the piles down and tramp on 'em so it's level for the lawn mower. They can be trapped or gassed but it's too much for you. The damage isn't permanent so don't worry about it.
Sometime when Pop is over there, you might get his opinion on the drive, If it looks like it needs gravel, better get it. Either Joe Ream or Gus Letterly will accommodate you I think. They can spread it with the truck and won't be any work for you.
How is your coal holding out? Don't let it get too low, before you get more.
These letters of mine are getting to be rather business letters aren't they? I sure haven't been turning out anything like a love letter recently. I do love you so much, but I can't find any new way to tell you about it. You'll have to be satisfied with a plain, ordinary, I love you and miss you more and more all the time. Gee, I glad I gotcha, sweetheart. You're my wife an' everything, an' I loves you so much. You're tops, you're everything nice and desirable, you're my sweetheart and I'm your lover.
Night, honey chile, I loves you so much.
your lover
Norm.

No comments: