Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Letter # 195 February 1, 1944

Feb. 1, 1944
Tues. eve.
My Sweetheart;
First I'm going to answer your Fri. letter and then, if I can find something else to write about and have some time, I'll continue.
You said you didn't think you could ever take a year of this army business. I was somewhat different when I first left, but it didn't take me long to begin to wonder if I could either. I didn't at first realize how much I was going to miss you. Had never been like that before when I was away. Home was where ever I hung my hat. Not that way any more. You're to blame for it too. You sweet old devil. I love you and this war can end any time and it won't be too soon for me. I'll be very glad to come back and be your husband again. I'm sure hoping it won't be too much longer. I miss you.
Honey, your story of the flat tire is rather amusing. Also saying that is one little bit of educating I neglected. If you can remember back a few years, I did once tell you, you ought to learn to change a tire and you laughed at me. You said, "I'll never change any damn old tire." "I'll run it to some place on the rim or just sit until someone comes after me." I told you right then, "If you ever run a tire of mine flat, I'll spank you good." I remember the incident very well and think they are almost the exact words. At the time it made me kinda mad that you wouldn't even watch or think it possible you might ever need to know. By this time you probably know it didn't hurt the tire to be flat all night as long as the car isn't moved while flat. I'll admit that jack is a "piss poor" imitation, but that is what they use on cars now days. It fits under the bumper either front or back. I had to look at it a while to figure it out when I first saw it. Then, if you don't block the wheels so the car can't roll either way, it will usually fall off the jack about the time you get it jacked up. Just as well you didn't try it. Hope you found someone willing to help you out. I'm sure as hell willing, but too far away. I'd change a tire for you any day for a kiss or even a nice smile.
I can see you paddling that kid. Probably about the same as I've seen you spank cats and dogs. No wonder he grinned when you put him down the first time. He may have liked to lay across your knee and have his butt patted. I even like that. Remember?
I don't think you're "crosser'n hell." A little annoyed perhaps. I think you need a little lovin. Bet that's all that ails you. I've done the best I can by mail. For anything more satisfactory I'll have to be there in person, or delegate some 4F or somebody to pinch hit for me.
I don't know why I should feel like a new woman. After not seeing you for so long you'll be as good as a new one. [probably have to use some slippum for the first few again] Bet the old thing is all shrunk up again. I never did look around for a new one, when I had you all the time, so why should I now? I'd only be disappointed if I did. Never find another like you. I'll always want you honey. You made me love you and now you won't ever be able to get rid of me.
So Gus Maitland is really going to be called. It's a damn shame. Can't see any reason for it. Jean surely has my sympathy. It's going to be a tough row to hoe for her. Is she going to try it alone or is she going home? If there is anything the two of you can work out don't hesitate to do it on my account. Anything you might work out has my approval. I'm not trying to suggest anything. I don't know anything to suggest. Just giving my support to anything you might be able to do to help.
I know Jean is the kind of gal that can take it and she'll make out all right somehow but I imagine any help she gets will be welcome. Being an experienced war widow you will have your chance to help another over the bumps. First Louise and now Jean - I guess you'll find plenty of opportunity to repay others for the help you've gotten. I don't know what it would be but if I can help in any way, say so.
Sweetheart, you better forget the part about wanting a few hairs to run your fingers through and curl. These G.I.'s don't leave room for much of that, although the barber told me the other night that I did have a lot of hair there yet, if it just grew out. So there too. I'm afraid if you want to curl any hair on me you'll have to do it on my chest or [someplace else].
I guess I've about filled my quota of paper for tonight. No letter today, but I bet I get a nice one tomorrow.
Night sweetheart. I love you so much and miss you like hell. I loves you mummy.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: