Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Letter # 202 February 9, 1944

Feb 9, 1944
Wed, eve.
My Darling Wife;
I really don't have much to write about tonight, so don't be surprised at what this turns out to be. Didn't get any letter today so I can't even comment on that.
Had a busy day at the shop, fixing up little things here and there on the tanks getting them ready to go out tomorrow. We leave after dinner and will come back sometime Friday afternoon or night. The whole battalion goes out for a big problem. I guess the whole maintenance crew, even Brownie is going out. Looks like you'll be hurtin for a letter again tomorrow. That'll be two misses in one week. Getting terrible aren't I?
We keep on hearing all sorts of rumors about our moving and this and that. Nothing at all definite. I expect we won't know anything until we get on the train and then won't know where we're going until we get there. The army helps the rumors along by urging everyone to have wills made and get maximum insurance and things like that. Today they handed each of us a paper to sign. It was a review of army rules, such as cautioning us about being awol for even a few minutes, especially now that we are on a shipping alert, and instructing us to be very careful about military information. Talk only to people we know and even then not much. Also telling us we will not be allowed to write, telephone, or telegraph anyone, while on a movement. All old stuff but they make us sign it now, so no one can say they didn't know.
Also a rumor running wild that this is one of the camps that will soon be closed. I'd like to believe that one. I don't have to tell you why.
Just think. If we moved, I stand a chance of being moved closer home. Of course, I might be a lot farther away too, but wherever we go it won't be more than another day's travel. I'm all for it. At any rate, the deadline, which was the 1st of March isn't far away. We may soon know something.
If it should happen that you don't hear from me for several days, sometime, don't get upset over it, we are probably on the move. I still won't believe it until it happens but I'll try to keep you posted on all I know or think likely to happen. That's about all I can do for you. I know this waiting and wondering business isn't easy. Will have to take it and like it. Someday this business
will be over and we can plan on things again.
I'm planning on lots of things anyhow. Trouble is they are only plans. Don't know when we can carry them out. Things like showing you how much I love you, finishing our house and all the things we had planned for the yard, building little pieces of furniture you want and, oh, just lots of things. The plan that occupies me most of the time is showing you how much I love you. I'm going to try to turn over a new leaf and be more like you always wanted me to be. Since I've had to resort to writing to show my love I think maybe I have developed my ability to tell you some of the things you always wanted to hear. I never could seem to get started before. When you dressed up and looked nice, I didn't seem to be able to say, "Gee! Honey, you look nice." I appreciated it as much but I never told you. I remember you used to say after we had a very good meal, "Well, can't you at least tell me it was a good dinner?" Other times I remember you asking, "Can't you tell me you love me at least once in a while? I like to be told." I know I was very poor at that sort of thing. I had never been taught to express my feelings. It took me a long time to learn how to. I'm not very proficient yet but I'm learning to do it on paper.
I'll try to remember to do it when I'm with you again. I think if you'll prompt me occasionally I'll be able to do it. I always wanted to but it seemed to sound foolish or something to me.
I remember a letter you wrote a while back. You said, "Honey if you talk to me the way you write, I'll go crazy, no, wild was the word, I believe, "Wild the way you want me to be." That promise alone, is enough to make me try like hell to tell you the things you like to hear. I'll be willing to learn anything for that kind of reward. That makes me go wild so then we'd both be wild. Whoops! Think I'll start practicing nice speeches from now on.
Bet you think this doesn't sound at all like me. Well, maybe it don't, but when a fellow is as much in love as I am he is liable to change a lot. I'm not making any rash promises that I have changed, but I sure as hell will try, at least along these lines. That last probably sounds more like me. doesn't it?
I love you so much, Sweetheart. I'm missing you more than you ever can imagine, and thinking of you more than I ever expected to think of anyone.
Night darling, I'm loving you and dreaming---------. You're my wife!
Your loving husband.
Norm.

No comments: