Friday, February 25, 2011

Letter # 211 February 20, 1944

Feb. 20. 1944
Sunday.
Sweetheart;
Whoops, honey, I got three letters from you this noon, Mon, Tues, and Wed ones. The Wed. ones had the plain 3 cent stamp and came in with the air mail ones written ahead of it. I guess that proves something or other. I don't believe it worth the extra for an air mail. Do you?
Some of the tank crews are working cleaning their tanks and getting them loaded for tomorrow, but the mechanics get a break. All day off. I've caught up on my letters and am now on yours and it isn't noon yet. I may do a little sleeping or reading this afternoon and go see a show tonight.
I sure slept like a log last night. I had missed so much sleep this week I guess I needed it. Called us at 7 and I was so lazy I damn near didn't get up for breakfast. My stomach won out so I got up and took care of it. 6 big plate size pancakes, bacon, coffee and a big bowl of cereal. I like my breakfast.
The other night when we got in so late it wasn't tank trouble, it was half track trouble again. The damned old thing is worn out and they won't give us a new one now that we are supposed to move. I'll fix them if we keep it much longer. I'll pick a nice spot of quicksand and run her in. Maybe it'll come out the other side and the Chinese can use it. There are places like that here. Have completely lost a few tanks in the 8th. Go down so deep they can't get them out.
To go on with the story. We are like the shoemaker. Fix other people's troubles and never take care of our own vehicles. We split a boggie wheel in half and had nothing to replace it with and not even a jack heavy enough to lift the half track so we could take it off. We were 35 miles from camp and all alone. Couldn't run her in that way. Would ruin the tracks. Tried several things and nothing seemed to work. We were about to settle down and wait for someone to hunt us up when I got an idea. We found a hunk of broken tow cable and and a roll of wire that belonged to some communication outfit in the 8th. Cut a couple good heavy prys and finally got the broken boogie lifted clear of the track. Wired it up with the cable and wire and took off. Held my breath all the way in. We got within a couple hundred yards of the motor park before it broke down. She limped in and we went to bed. It was a lot of work but better than missing a couple meals until someone found us or walking in.
We had an interesting little accident the other morning. Each company has its own garage. They are all built alike, exactly in line, and with about 60 feet between them. That leaves very little room to handle a big tank and run them in and out of the garage. Well, B company is next to us. They were trying to get a tank with a sticking clutch into their garage and instead it ended up in ours. It was startling. We were getting ready to go out with grease, oil and etc. for the tanks. The capt. Lt Newberger, Brownie and I were standing in our garage talking, deciding if we had everything we needed. The doors were all closed. We heard the tank outside but that is nothing too strange. Paid no attention until we heard a crashing and saw the doors and part of the side of the building folding up like an accordion. This tank's clutch stuck at the wrong time and it backed half way through our shop, taking doors, side and everything with it. It really did eat its way about 15 ft down one side before they got it stopped. A little bit more and it would have pulled the roof down. About the time the building got to shaking good, I left. Nearly made a new door myself, getting out. It was only idling too. You can imagine what would happen if it was going 20 miles an hour with full power.
We've had dinner now and been shooting the breeze. Kinda got me out of the writing mood. See if I can get back.
Brownie was telling about being in Leesville last night, trying to see some gal he's got there. "Why that dirty town was so fucking full of soldiers last night I didn't even get to see her." Seems she slings hash or something. Said, "I got within a hundred yards once, waved at her, and turned around and came back to camp." "I'll take care of her some other time." Then he goes on to tell about her.
"She's the cleanest looking gal I've seen in any of these joints." "Why, she even washes her hands once in a while." "I saw her do it once."
I guess it isn't that bad. Brownie always makes a good story of things.
Now I guess I'll answer a letter or two. Have to save one for another time.
I know the suspense of waiting for something to happen is hard to take. That is why I hesitated to even tell you of it until it happened. I guessed it would be a dry run or at least take quite a while to happen and it is. It's probably as well you do know. You can take it.
Glad you like my poor attempts at trying to tell you I love you. It doesn't sound very good to me. Seems clumsy and very inadequate. I just don't know how to put the proper words together to get the meaning I want. I'll have to write for one of these books, "How to Write Love Letters". Supposed to teach you to write super love letters in a week, all for 98 cents too. Oh hell! If you like what I say I guess that's all that matters.
I sure am going to try telling you as well as showing you next time I get a chance. If it has the effect on you, you say it will, I won't need any more prompting to keep it up. I like you "wild". When you're "wild" you can really take and give. Best loving ever came down the road. You better not go trying to lick your weight in wildcats. I'm glad my little love talk makes you feel so good but I want you all in one piece. Not all scratched up. You're much too pretty for that.
If my bed in the field sounds so attractive to you, we'll have to try it sometime. How about it? I'll try to keep you warm. Even lay up close all night if you want. Better quit thinking along that line or it will bring on another dirty letter. It gets me to think of you that way. I never could stay close to you without being bothered and now I can't think of you without being bothered. You've got what it takes to make me wild, even when you're 1500 miles away. What is it sweetheart?
You will never have to ask me if I'm going your way or tell me to take you. All you have to do is act like you wouldn't object very much and I'll take over. I loves you so much. You're sweet.
So you thought I wouldn't say much about Louisa's letter. Most cases I probably wouldn't, but that was too much. You tried to do all you could for her and I thought she was a different person than that letter showed. I don't like to have anyone shit on my wife. She's too nice a person for that.
You're darn right I like 'em big. After all they got all any other gal has and more and lots of it. I like gals built to last. I love you too and as long as you like to hear me tell you, I'll keep on telling you. I know I'm lucky and intend to hold that piece of luck in any way I can.
That covers your Monday letter. I'll leave the others until next time. Gosh, I reckon I'll be in the field tomorrow night so I won't be able to answer them until at least Tuesday. I should answer them now but I haven't time to do my chores and get in a show unless I quit now. I'll quit.
I guess you know I love you, but I'm going to keep on telling you anyhow. You don't know how much I love you. I can't tell you and I haven't been able to show you for a long time. There's a time coming honey, and then--------.
Bye sweetheart, I'm dreaming and loving you all the time. I'm your
loving hubby.
Norm.

No comments: