Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Letter # 201 February 8, 1944

Feb, 8, 1944
Tues, eve.
My Chubbins;
I failed you last night. Didn't write a letter. I was in the field on bivouac. I knew we were going to spend quite a lot of time in the field , this week, but it caught me by surprise. We were to go out this morning but they changed their minds and we went out about 3 yesterday afternoon.
Had a very trouble free trip, only a few minor troubles. Don't think I worked more than a couple hours all told.
On the way out we were delayed about 2 hours by an 8th division convoy. They are on maneuvers in the area now and part of them were on the move to a new problem. Had the roads all blocked. It made us late getting to our destination, but it was interesting to see such large masses of vehicles and equipment on the move.
It was a beautiful moonlight night, warm like early summer. I even had a couple mosquito bites this morning. We were bivouacked close to a road and during the night I got a scare for a minute. Being such a nice bright night, one unit of the 8th must have decided to steal a march on the opposing forces and made a move. I was sleeping very soundly until a column of medium tanks went roaring by. They woke me up so quick and the noise was so great, for a second, I thought they must be within a yard or so of me. I damn near jumped out of my blankets before I collected myself enough to realize what was going on. I was bedded down at least 200 feet from the road, but the ground was shaking and the engine exhausts so loud it seemed they were running over me.
They were going past nearly all night but after that one start it didn't bother me much. Only wakened me a couple times.
This morning when day came we found ourselves in the middle of the 8th division. Thousands of men and vehicles scattered all over the country.
While out tanks were going through their problem, I didn't have anything to do so we parked our trucks on top of a hill and I amused myself all day, watching the 8th with a pair of field glasses. Every part of the country I could see, even with the glasses was full of men and vehicles. Really, it's a sight to see. It makes me wonder at the magnitude of the picture over there. This was only one division and over there---- hundreds of them. It's very easy to see where all the money is going. In fact, it's hard to see how it's enough to even get started. A billion bucks must buy a hell of a lot of things.
While I was playing around with the glasses I spotted Schindler about a half mile away and I went over and talked for a while.
This is the second week they have been out. Next week they "fight" this airborne outfit that was here. They have been told they will be out until the 1st of April. I saw and talked to several of the boys that were in the old outfit.
Remember Max Stanesbury, from Wyoming? He's the fellow that drank so much when he got a chance. He's A.W.O.L. 15 days now and they haven't found him yet. I was always afraid he'd do that. I didn't see Ernie or Angie. Schindler said Ernie was back at their last bivouac fixing up wrecks. That's the life of a mechanic on maneuvers and I guess, in combat. Very seldom get up where things are happening.
I got a letter from Mrs. Angie, Monday, thanking me for the pictures and she also sent some that belonged to me. I had forgotten that Angie had borrowed my camera and finished the film in it. One picture of Marg and one of me taken in Louisville last fall. They aren't very good. I'll send them next time I send you a package. They are enlarged to 4X6. Too big for an envelope.
I got your Fri letter and I'll answer it now.
So Mom & Pop have 34 years of married life. That's getting right up there. Just think, sweetheart, we've only got 3 1/2 years to our credit so far. Over 30 more glorious years to equal that. It seems like a lot of time but I bet it won't be near enough. It will take a lot longer than that for me to get enough of being married to you. If I keep on loving you more each year as I have so far, I wonder what it will be like then. Thrilling! Isn't it?
You told me not to apologize for my short letters and now I'm telling you the same. I don't see how you do so well. A letter everyday. That's a lot darling. I love 'em all. Would if they only said, Hello, honey, I love you, I'm O.K. That's what I want to know most.
Night sweetheart, I love you and always will, even 34 years from now. I loves you. You're my wife.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: