Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Letter # 198 February 4, 1944

Feb 4, 1944
Fri eve.
Hello, Honey Bunch;
Another week nearly shot, they're rolling right along. Let 'em go. I'm not sorry. Every one gone is one closer to that time and the day we're looking for. Boy, honey, that'll be the day.
We are still going along at slow speed in the shop, keeping busy but not hurrying any. Stand around and talk and shoot the shit once in a while. Get Brownie and Lt. Newberger telling stories and they are pleased to have us stand around and listen. They both love to tell stories of what they have seen and done. Good part of them are stretched a little, but they're fun to listen to. I take it all in, like I believed every word and that keeps them going.
Some of Lt Newberger's stories are especially interesting. He was in the army as an enlisted man, before the war and was stationed in Hawaii a couple years. He was there when the islands were being fortified but had come back to O.C.S. shortly before Pearl Harbor.
We quit at the shop at 3 this afternoon and went with the rest of the company to see another training film. It was shown at a theater on the other side of camp, couple miles away, so we had a road march along with it. Even double timed part of the way. Another first since basic. My wind isn't as good as last summer, but it wouldn't take much training to put me back in shape again. Haven't slipped as much as I expected I had. I guess lots of sleep and walking and crawling in and out, up and over these tanks, must keep us in fair shape. I have even lost a little of the weight you put on me. I'm now at 185. Still have 5 of your pounds left. Not doing so bad am I? I'll go down again when it gets hot once more.
Honey, you talk about some of your "kids" being bricks. You ought to have a room full of these camp newsboys. Then you'd really have something. If they would learn lessons as quickly and thoroughly as they pick up G.I. talk, they'd be all right. One little fellow comes to our barracks every night. Can't be more than 12 yrs old, and small for that age. About Kelly's size. No matter what is said to them they have an answer. Usually not printable, but an effective answer.
Tonight one of the boys was kidding him about his paper. The kid says. "Aw, blow it out your G.I. ass, if you don't like the paper don't buy the damn thing." Then he walked up to another fellow, he's a man of my age, but very small, not over 5 ft. The kid says," How about you shorty?" " Want a paper?"
A few nights ago one of the smart guys asked the kid if he had a sister. He said he did have and then the wise guy said, "Does she put out?" The kid came right back, "Damned if I know, but if she does you wouldn't get any of it." How's that for a kid of that age? He'll sure be able to take care of himself when he grows up.
Gosh honey, I got three nice letters from you today. Yours from Monday and Tues. You're getting too good when you write two the same day. I sure can't keep up to that. Have a hell of a time writing you once a day. You got me stopped. I can't compete. You're sweet and I love you. I'll start answering them and save at least one for tomorrow.
You know I'm proud of you anyhow. You don't have to do things, like driving on icy roads, to make me proud of you. Just being you is enough.
I'm glad to hear you are doing it. I knew you could, only you wouldn't try it. Lots of things you thought you couldn't do, you're doing now and doing very well. Guess I got a right to be proud of you. You're a very sweet person and my wife. That's the part I like best. MY WIFE. Means a whole lot.
I had been meaning to ask if you knew how Carl stood in the draft. Now I don't need to ask. Always know what I'm thinking of don't you?
Martha always was afraid to stay alone even for the short time on Sat. evening. That's why she always went to town on Sat night, and why she always came along when Carl came to help me. Another incident that helps prove you are a very unusual gal. Do you believe me yet? Another reason that ought to prove it. I love you.
I don't know how much Carl paid off to Steve, but I would think nearly all of it. If he hasn't they'll have to keep paying I expect. Steve was a bit peeved when Carl quit. She's so close to "Pop" I imagine he'll take over the farm and stock. Shouldn't be too bad. It's no fun for anyone. We know that.
I refuse the balling out about writing letters. I knew you'd be sweet enough to not blame me for missing a few days, but I hate to do it. You've been so faithful about it and I know you like them as much as I do. I feel like I'm not playing the game when I don't write.
The trouble between the paratroopers and our outfit has quieted down No more trouble since the time I wrote of. Just like two strange dogs I guess.
I often wondered what I had that attracted you. You compliment me on my teeth and smile. That must be it. Can't think of much else about me good enough to bring me so much good luck. I'll be doubly careful of them now.
I really think I will enjoy having my "puppy dog" wife follow me around and that isn't all. I may turn the tables and follow you when you aren't following me. Doesn't seem now, like I could ever see enough of you again. I didn't know how much I loved you before ---- I do now.
I don't think you were nosey. You liked me.
I got off the track back away. The training film was on England and the English, giving background of their life and customs and presenting a side of their part in the war I had never heard or read of. Some of it may be propaganda, but even if only part of it is true, it surely changes the picture as we have been shown it here in America. The picture shows them playing a large and very unselfish part in the war. Makes me wonder which is the true story. There are to be more, one on each of our allies. Very interesting at least.
Well honey, I have only answered one of your letters, so far and I think I'll quit. I know I won't take a notion and start in again later. I'll let you stay ahead of me there. One letter a day is all I can manage. Some other things I could do a lot better than that. Get me? I'd even get up at 2 or 3 in the morning for that.
I'll say bye for now, sweetheart. Maybe I won't get any letters tomorrow and then I can answer these other two of yours.
Night Sweetheart. I love you so much. Both of us do. I'm thinking of you a lot. I love you honey, and I miss you like hell. Here's some extra hugs and kisses and everything I haven't any use for here.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: