Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Letter # 74 August 31, 1943

Aug. 31, 1943
Hello Honey;
Well another day gone by and only 5 weeks and 4 days left now. I'm still keeping track. I love you honey and am already beginning to miss you again. I was just thinking this evening while waiting in the chow line, it was the first time I had eaten supper in camp on Tues. since I've been here. Seems like I had a woman in town I was always going to see on my days off. She must have had something to make me go to all that trouble. I walked over to the main P.X., by the bus station this afternoon and it seemed a hell of a lot farther than it did when I was on my way to see that woman. I couldn't help but admit to myself that I would walk a hell of a lot farther if it was necessary. She really has what it takes to make me keep coming back for more. I love her a lot.
I also remembered that it is very close to three years ago that she married me so I bought her a little present and sent it along. Hope you get it in good shape. It'll arrive a bit ahead of time but I guess that won't make much difference. I love you honey.
I got a letter from Hazel & Mom and one from Steve today. Steve had seen my address in the Gazette and decided to write. I'll enclose it with this. It's the best letter I've seen him write. I also got a card from a Jim Dunn in Sharon. I'll also enclose it. Tell me who the hell it is if you know. I can't figure for the life of me who it could be. As the boys say, "It beats the shit out of me". Apparently he also saw my address in the Gazette because he cut it out and pasted it on the card. Must be someone that don't know from nothing.
I took my O.D.'s over to have them altered and was rather surprised. They are altering the two trousers and the blouse and cleaning and pressing the lot for
$3.00. Not bad if they do a decent job. Said they would be ready by Saturday.
I got back to the barracks about 4 and guess what? I stretched out and went to sleep until chow. Imagine that. This army life up here will really spoil me. I'll be too lazy to move if I stay here very long. See, I'm already starting to rest up for the time when I come to see you. So watch out. I'll probably be fat and sassy and full of piss and vinegar and have a few ideas in my head. They'll probably be in my head if no where else anyhow. Betcha I can do as good, if not better than, this time. If you don't believe it just wait and see. I'll show you. Of course I'm depending on the same kind of cooperation from you. So maybe you better have your friends start working on you a couple weeks ahead again. It sure produced results this time. I still can hardly believe how much you changed in that respect. I know damn well it wasn't a dream because it was too satisfying. I loved it honey. You're a peach. I still say I had my lucky break when I got you. I'm loving you and daydreaming of that day. Night honey.
your loving husband.
Norm.

No comments: