Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Letter #78 September 4, 1943

Sept 4, 1943
Hello my darling sweetheart;
How's my honey today? Well and sweet as ever I hope.
Finished up another week of school this noon. That makes five already and only five more to go. In one way the weeks are going way too fast. I'll soon be on my way back to Polk. On the other hand they can't go too fast because when it's over I hope to come home to my wife for a while. Only 36 more days left and then - Oh Boy.
This has been a very interesting week and I believe the next one will be as interesting as this has been. Ernie and I had quite a race this week. Neck and neck with the very same score until today and then he finally beat me out by 2 points. He had 149 out of 155 and I had 147. So this week he is 1st and I'm second. He says he'll have to beat me a few times to make it look right. If we both go back to the old set up he is my crew chief and it wouldn't be so good to have a man with constantly better marks working under him. We just laugh about that angle. It wouldn't make any difference to either of us. We've also been laughing about another angle of the same situation. Ernie has begun to get quite a lot of grey hair, just all of a sudden since we came up here, and we've decided we'll make quite a pair of mechanics, hobbling out on our crutches, one grey haired and the other with a wig. We decided Ernie would have to do the work under the tank and me on top, because I'd loose my wig if I crawled under.
The boys are kidding Ernie that he is getting grey hair trying to keep his grades up to mine. I tell him it must be that girl. Advised him to hurry up and marry her because from my own experience it was a lot easier on a man after he was married than it was before. Hell of a lot nicer also.
We had a lot of fun while I was courting you honey, but I wouldn't want to go back to those days even if I could. I like being married to you too much. If I had known it was going to be so nice I wouldn't have waited as long or needed as much urging as I did. Remember how you used to say you didn't want to wait any more. You just wanted to get married. It takes a lot to get you started but after you do get started it's worth it. I still think I got the best little wife in the world and I love her a lot. She's sweet, nice to look at, good natured, thoughtful, nice and chubby with nice soft places and dangerous curves, nice legs, and I have to add a new adjective, since the past few weeks, passionate, and I think she loves me. Ain't I the lucky man. Maybe sometime I'll find another nice quality that you have kept hidden up to now, but I can't imagine what it would be. To be much better you'd have to be superhuman. I guess I love you honey and I'm missing you. Here it is Saturday and I can't go see my wife. You spoiled me honey but I liked it.
The Lieutenant in charge of this phase interviewed me again today about being an instructor. He happens to be one you can talk to so I asked a few questions. He said much the same as the others but added this much new information. There is nothing sure about ever being assigned to it but if instructors are ever needed, no matter if 6 mo or a year from now and my turn comes up I will probably have a chance at it. From what he says there is a waiting list, I don't know how big but when my turn comes up I will probably be requested if I am still in the army and on this side.
From the looks of the news in the papers maybe I won't even be in the army by the time my turn comes up. It won't make me mad. I'm like you. I think a wife is a very handy gadget and I like to have one around. They're the nicest things.
I'm not coming out very even on this paper. I intended to quit on the last page but I didn't get it done. I don't think I can fill this one but I'll keep on until I run down. I want to write Tib and thank her for the cigarettes. I got my clothes back today and they did a good job. The blouse fits swell. The trousers are a little loose in the ass but not too bad. I only had to have them taken up 2". Maybe if I lay around here long enough I'll grow up to fit my clothes again.
It hasn't been nearly so hot this week. It has been trying to rain most every day but hasn't as yet done much. It's not winter yet by quite a ways but 85 degrees was the top today, so it's getting down a lot closer to my kind of weather.
Well honey I'm plumb run down so I'll give up for this time. I love you ever and ever so much and I'm wishing you a very nice 3rd wedding anniversary. I'll be celebrating it with you in spirit even though I can't be there in the flesh. We just celebrated in the flesh a little early this year.
Three years ago I supposed our honeymoon would be the biggest thrill of our married life but the anniversaries have got that beat a long way and that's going some. Here's to more and better anniversaries. Bye, Bye, sweetheart. I love you.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: