Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Letter # 79 Sept 5, 1943

Sept 5, 1943
Hello sweetness;
Here it is Sunday again and no wife to go see. [Damn it anyhow] so I've been spending my time catching up on my correspondence. Tib & Harry, Ed & Betty,
Gus & Vi. Too bad to waste such a nice cool day writing when it would be just swell for loving, but not having anything handy to love and for some reason I don't seem to want to hunt anything up so I guess writing is a good way to spend it. I can't understand my lack of interest in hunting up something. Guess some gal has so captured my interest I can't even get very interested in looking any more. Must be some gal several hundred miles away and can still compete with girls right here and win. I love you honey and don't regret a bit any hold you've got on me. In fact I'm sorry it isn't a physical hold. You may be a ball and chain, but an awful nice one and I wouldn't trade you for anything. Not even two younger models.
It's a nice cool day, raining but nice. It really rained enough so there is a little water standing around. Coolest day I've seen since last April. I'm actually fully dressed as I write this letter for the first time in a hell of a while. Usually I'm down to a pair of shorts or less.
Boy, talk about sleep, why I'm as bad as you, been in bed at 9 every night this past week including last night. Got 11 hours last night. Didn't get up until 8. Imagine that. Bought a paper, read my funnies, sat and talked and wrote some letters until mail call. I was waiting for yours before I wrote so when I got it I started to write this.
Just had dinner and am back on my bunk again. Even got so I can write laying down. Just going to be lazy as hell.
I haven't been laying down on the job honey. I've been writing every day and will as long as something doesn't interfere. If you don't get one every day it must be the mail service and you'll get two someday.
I wouldn't do that to you honey, as long as I have as much time as I have now.
Just think honey, a week ago you were just about to leave me and I wasn't liking it too well either, but I guess I lived. Haven't been as nice though. I miss you a hell of a lot honey. You're nice to have around. Even restful, much as it would seem the other way.
I'm sorry to hear Mick & Louise are taking it so hard. We know it's no fun but there's no use letting it get you down. I hated to see it happen to them but if we took it, I guess they can. I know they can't be any more in love than we are. You'll have to tell Louise what she told you. "Say, what the hell ten times and you'll feel better." It is going to be tough on her being so nearly alone. Glad you let them store their table & etc upstairs. If you haven't already done it, it would be a good trick to throw some newspaper or an old rag or something over the table.
I don't know quite what you mean by going off half cocked. The last I saw of you, you were pretty well cocked most of the time. You devil you.
It sure is swell of Jr. & Art to do all that work for us. We will have a hell of a lot of paying back to do. We'll get a chance sometime. You already have a chance to start paying Louise back. As long as you are both widows you can cry on each others shoulders.
By the time you get this letter you will probably have had your first taste of teaching again. Hope everything went O.K. You can and will do a good job I know. Just don't let the damn business worry you at all. Tell 'em to go to hell if they don't like the way you do it and forget about it.
Happy wedding anniversary anniversary darling. Three whole years and I still love you. Look how I messed up that first line. If that isn't love, name it.
Be good honey and keep those nice legs crossed. I'll be seeing you in 35 more days.
your lover
Norm.

No comments: