Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Letter # 81 September 7, 1943

Sept 7, 1943
Darling wife;
Hello! How's my honey tonight? I suppose after your first day of school you're rather tired and grouchy. Wish I was there. I'd make you forget all about school for a little while at least. Hope it's going all right and isn't going to be too hard on you. Tell me about it.
Got another letter form my sweetie this noon. Just as regular as clockwork. I like 'em and look forward to mail call more than anything that happens.
Glad to hear Louise is getting straightened out. I imagine she'll be all right as soon as she gets used to the idea. Looks like you've had a chance to start paying your obligation to her, and I bet you're doing a good job of it. I know I'd like to have you in debt to me. It would sure be nice collecting.
You devil, what do you mean saying you think I'm nearly as anxious to see you as you are to see me. There isn't any nearly business about it. I'm every bit as anxious as you are if not more so. So there too. I love you more than you think I do. I know it's a lot more than I thought I ever could love anyone. You're a devil but I like it.
School isn't going so good this week. It should be real interesting and I should be learning a lot, but we have a very poor instructor. They have broken us up in groups of 8 men and we are supposed to be learning the generators. Each group has its own instructor and we happened to get a poor one. He seems to know the stuff but can't teach it. I think his main trouble is liquor, anyhow he smells rather strong. Don't know how he gets away with it but he seems to. I don't know how it will affect us. We'll see later.
This afternoon several of us, all from the 8th decided to go buy some more film and take a few pictures. So we went over to the old port, by the bus station, and each got a roll for my camera. Lynn Grafton, I think I told you of him, Angelo Canova, an Italian boy from N.York City, about 5'8" tall, stocky and typical Italian. Lot of fun and a good fellow, Shindler, from St. Louis, just an ordinary fellow, Ernie, and I. We got the film and then tried to think of poses and backgrounds for pictures. Finally decided what we needed was a few W.A.C.S. for scenery so we took off for their camp. Guess our luck wasn't very good because they all seemed to be missing. The few we did see weren't good enough to decorate our pictures so we didn't even ask. I wouldn't have anyhow but don't think Ernie and Angie wouldn't have. Ernie said they might be all right if a man needed a little fucking but he sure didn't want them in a picture with him. Ornery devil isn't he.
We finally compromised and took some pictures leaning against the W.A.C. Hdq. sign. Then we took a walk out by the building where nearly all the gold in the world is stored at the present time. Couldn't get very close, about 1/2 mile. Guards all over the place, so we didn't get any pictures. Came back to the barracks and took a lot of snaps of all of us. Got 5 rolls of film to take up for developing. Will get some more some of these days. See what these look like first.
Glad to hear Tony seems to be on his feet at last. Evidently he got through his basic this time. He'll be O.K. now. The worst is over and I expect he'll have some sort of an office job when he finishes school.
Did I tell you I love you? Well I do. I think you're sweet and the best little wife a man ever had. I'm missing you a lot. But just think honey, only 35 more days and I will have you where I can get hold of you and show you. Whoope! Gives me a thrill to just think about it. Bye, Bye, darling, I love you.
Your soldier
Norm

No comments: