Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Letter # 86 September 12, 1943

Sept. 12, 1943
Hi Chubbins darling,
I haven't invented a new name for you for a long time and I have almost decided that "Chubbins" would be a swell one. It's not a bit original, the girl in the Prince Albert advertisements is called that but somehow or other I've always liked the sound of it. Rather warm and soft and comfortable. Fits you in lots of ways. Babe is also a very nice name but we'll just keep that for the public. I have to have a private name of some kind for you. Makes you seem more "all mine". I didn't decide on Chubbins just because of those 10 lbs you seem to pick up and drop so easily, but just because I think it fits you and I like it. You probably won't, but you said you didn't care what I called you, just as long as I loved you. I love you darling and always will. Even if I hadn't loved you before I would have been forced to since your visit to Kentucky. You were swell honey. I just can't forget that time. It was a milestone that will always stand out with a limited number of others in my memory. If I was to name them in rotation it would come first but in sequence as they happened they are: Put-in-Bay 1937, 1st of August 1937, when I first asked you to marry me, and you just grunted, 7th of August 1937, when I came back from my vacation in Ky, and you greeted me rather warmly, Michigan, Labor Day 1939, Sept 8, 1940, I do and I will and then the honeymoon week, Aug. 7 1943 Boy oh Boy, how that one stands out, and I don't think it is only because it is the most recent. I think a lot of it is due to the fact that up until the army took me, I hadn't fully realized how much I loved you and needed you. Judging from your actions I almost believe it affected you a little the same way. Boy honey! I could just squeeze you to pieces.
Just think, only 28 more days and maybe we can add another milestone to this list. "Think we will Chubbins?" I do.
If you get tired of reading these half baked love letters, I'll try to contain myself and write about something else. I just can't seem to write about anything else. I'll have lots of other things I intend to get in a letter and then forget all about them. You get me all stirred up whenever I think about you. Some girl. Can be many miles away and have as much influence on me as if she were right here. I can't understand it. Love must be the first wonder of the world.
I got your Friday morning letter already last evening. I thought that business about you getting up early was too much to be true. If you can't sleep on Sun or on week days, I bet you do on Sat. Go to it honey, I don't blame you. I'm even doing the same thing now. Don't have anything much to do so I just stay in bed. 11 hrs. last night. I'm getting terrible. If I don't get out of here soon I'll be able to out sleep you.
I guess I forgot to tell you Gus & I went to "Salute to the Marines" Fri night. It's swell, although you probably wouldn't care much about it. War picture of the first attack on the Philippines. Wallace Berry always was good. If all service women were like the marine in that picture you'd have to watch me a little closer. I might forget myself and be tempted to try my wings or something. We bought a couple boxes of popcorn and had a big time eating it during the show. I got so interested I had some left when we came out. We were home and in bed by 9 so I guess we couldn't have been very bad boys. Bought us a book of 10 theater tickets also. Now we'll have to got to a show at least once a week to use them up. 12 cents a ticket.
Yesterday afternoon Gus and I moved into our "private" room. Maybe I won't get quite so much sleep now. We can keep the lights on as long as we like, so I may do a little reading.
Glad to hear Louise is doing O.K. Tell her Hi for me. We all love her and we are wishing her a lot of luck.
It was sweet of you to send Mrs. Wilkerson the fork. You are a sweet person you know. Sounds like she did like me a little. That's always my luck, if I make a hit with them, they're married.
Got another letter from Steve yesterday. I'll enclose it. Sounds like we might just possibly be home about the same time. Don't know what happened to make him answer so quick.
Also got a letter from Vi.
As far as wishing I was with another exhibit at the fair is concerned, forget it. I'd do it if I had to, to get home, but that's the only way. Don't care if I never see another fair from a display booth.
In one of your other letters you remarked about my maybe gaining some weight because I didn't have the O.D.'s taken in so much. That isn't the reason. The O.D.'s fit better to begin with and I didn't want them too tight because I may be in a cold climate where I'll want my long handled drawers or something under them. The last time I weighed some time last week, I was at 181 so I can't be gaining much. Sleeping myself poor or maybe I'm pining away because of you. You're a devil but I love my Chubbins a lot.
The temperature is still swell. Nice and brisk at night and just comfortable, about 68-70 degrees during the day. My time of year. I wish I was home with my honey today. Just about time to go looking for nuts & mushrooms.
Well honey I guess my sugar report is in for today. Do a little reading and maybe Gus & I will step out for a time later on. I'm going to have to find some stationery someplace soon or I'll be writing my sugar report on toilet paper and send it to you by the roll.
Bye, Bye Chubbins darling. I'll be seeing you soon. I love you.
Your wild soldier
Norm.

No comments: