Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Letter # 91 september 18, 1943

Sept. 18, 1943
My darling Chubbins;
Glad you liked the new "pet" name. Wish I could "pet" the owner. I'm feeling real ornery and full of pis & vinegar or something.
You know Honey, I think I'll have to keep a few of these love letters of yours. You're really getting very good at writing them and I'll just have to have something in writing to counterbalance all the letters you have from me. You're sticking your neck out far enough in some of them for me to be able to hold you for life. That's just what I intend to do, in case you didn't know it. From what you say I don't think it will be at all necessary to blackmail you, but just in case an especially nice truck driver shows up, I'll have the evidence.
Honey that damn love bug has gone clear through me several times already and seems to like his home so well, I don't believe he will ever leave. I'll sure put up a holler if he ever tries to leave. I would be very nearly empty inside if he decided to move. I think I've told you once or twice already that I love you honey, but I am going to keep on telling you the same thing over and over until you can't forget it. 00I would a lot rather show you part of the time but as things are, I can't so I'll tell you. Maybe when I have you by me all the time again I'll forget to tell you part of the time, but I'll bet I never forget to show you. You're the nicest thing to show that was ever created.
Now it's only three more weeks and I can start doing some showing. Gives me tingles just to think of it. You can ask for nothing more but just to have me by you with just a little of the other thrown in. I may be getting older and more bald every day but all I need is my Chubbins in bed with me and I get young very quickly. Get young ideas at least.
I went to get my daily letter from my sweetheart this noon and instead of only one from you, I got a whole handful. Boy honey, I'm popular. Two of the letters were from Lts. too Marg & Steve. Also got a letter from Vi.
Marg says she expects to have next weekend off and if so is going to try to come down to Louisville to see me. She is going to let me know later in the week. Seems to like the army but is still hoping to get a reclassification from limited service. As it stands now she thinks she will stay here in the central states someplace, unless they need nurses badly in some other area of the U.S.
I can't imagine what ails Steve. He answers very promptly. I just wrote last Sunday and have an answer already today. I had told him I would like to see him and that I thought it might be fun to tell a Lt. to go to hell and have a chance of getting away with it. He says to go ahead and see who cares. I'll enclose the letter so you can see what else he says. Sounds like a real army man.
Vi wrote a very nice letter and mentioned the possibility of them coming down after me. I'll write what I know and can tell them about it.
The 181 lbs. is with my clothes on so you can see I'm not getting very fat.
You know Honey, I made a very bad mistake in reading your letter and just now discovered it as I was reading it for the third time. I thought you said you were back to 170 lbs. now, very "fat" tummy and altogether quite nice. I discover now you said "flat" tummy. I can believe all the rest and even add some to it but the flat tummy I can't and don't want to believe. Remember since I'm skinny you have to furnish the padding. You can have a nice tummy but not a flat one.
Sorry if school is getting on your nerves once in a while. I can imagine it would be easy to let it bother you, but don't do it Honey. You can do a good job of it without letting it get you down. No job is all to our liking so just say, "What the hell, they can't worry me." "I can quit any time I want to and will as soon as this war is over if not before." Remember Honey I love you and am for you all the way. I know you're doing a good job.
Well Honey I finished this week up with a bang. First in the class all the week and 5 points ahead of Ernie. The average this week was rather low. I don't know why. It didn't seem so hard, but most of the boys were 25 or 30 points behind. The closest was 10 below Ernie.
We didn't have very much today. Just practical work test and I was first. It was simple business. From then on about all we did was sit around the engine and shoot the shit. During the session the Captain came in and crooked his finger to me, wanting me to follow him. We went into the Major's office and believe it or not Honey I got several compliments. The first I have ever received in the army.
After I had saluted and told to be at ease and have a chair the Lt. told the Major about me. "Pfc. Effinger here has the highest score in the class, in fact the highest we've had in this phase for a long time." "He lacks 2 points of a perfect score." "Has always been neat and soldierly in actions and appearance and has the best shinned shoes in the building."
I thought, Boy what a buildup coming from an army Lt. I was just a bit uneasy, not used to being interviewed by a Major but he put me at ease when he turned with a smile and said, "Well soldier, You have a rather unusual record."
"Yes Sir."
"How would you like to be an instructor in this school?"
"I think I would like it, Sir."
"How old are you?"
"30, Sir."
"Married?"
"Yes Sir."
"Where do you live?"
"Medina, Ohio, Sir."
"Be rather nice for you to be stationed here."
"Yes Sir, It would."
"Do you think you could handle the work?" "Of course you would be given a few weeks extra training before you would start work."
"Yes Sir, I'm sure I could."
"Good." "The only trouble is you are already assigned to the 8th and it's hard to get a man out of that outfit." "Are you by any chance a limited service man?"
"No Sir."
"I'm sorry, but that about stops that." "We had been able to get nearly any man we wanted but now there are so many limited service men, it is hard to get an A-1 man."
He shuffled a few papers on his desk and looked at one for a minute and then asked, "Do you speak Spanish?"
"No Sir. I took it in high school but I don't speak it."
From the conversation that followed between the Major & Lt. I learned that they had a special order for a few trained tank mechanics that could speak Spanish. Evidently to be sent to South America as instructors. They needed them bad enough to take them from anyplace I guess.
The Major turned to me again. "We'll keep your name on the list and you may get a call sometime." "We appreciate you fellows that come here and work as hard as you have." "You know you fellows are the boys that make us look good and we'll give you a boost if we can."
"Thank you, Sir." I saluted, about faced and walked out. You must meet all kinds in the army. Here were two officers that really seemed to think I was doing something for them and were grateful. I guess I've seen everything now.
That was close, Honey. If I had been able to talk Spanish I bet I would have been on my way to So. America soon. I wouldn't mind going there, but not as an instructor. If they are going to send me that far away from you I don't want it as an instructor. You're the only reason I was considering it anyhow. You're a devil, but a very nice one and I would do anything I can to stay near you. I'm a very happily married man and I love my darling Chubbins so much!
Making the rest of our life together one long honeymoon sure sounds very attractive to me and I'm willing to start anytime, but unlike you I wish it could be just as ardent as the last honeymoon. I'm afraid though that the old man couldn't stand that pace forever without loosing the rest of my hair. The sweet and affectionate part shouldn't be too hard, especially if we have more than just a little of the other thrown in. Honey, I just can't forget that 'other' as it was down here. As near to heaven on earth as I'll ever be.
Gus went to town this afternoon with a bunch of the fellows. I didn't want to go and was rather relieved when he got the others to go with him. That probably explains this long letter. No one to bother me here in my private room so I can concentrate on you. He usually writes his wife every day also, but only what I call a note, so he gets done by the time I've started and then wants to talk, interrupts my thoughts. Just like loving you on the davenport and someone walking in on us. I like you all to myself when I'm in a loving mood.
Night sweetheart, I'll have to save something to write tomorrow. I love you and it won't be long, but it will be hard.
Your love bug bitten husband
Norm.
P.S. I like that last line and also the ending.

No comments: