Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Letter # 97 September 24, 1943

Sept 24, 1943
My darling school teacher;
Well honey another Friday and another inspection gone by. Only 2 more and I'll be very close to having you in my arms again. Just think only 14 more days if you come down to get me and 15 if you don't. That sounds a lot better than it did a while back. It'll sound a lot better when I can mark that last day off the calendar. I'm really anxious to see you sweetheart, so watch out for some cracked ribs. Liable to forget myself and squeeze too hard.
I got your Tues. letter this noon and I see a few places for comments.
Chubbins is the name of Judge Robbin's daughter. You know the classy looking gal, with the nice bubbles and is always standing with the wind blowing her dress or sitting so she shows quite a little of a nice looking pair of legs. I never did think the name was a fit for her, she is a little too slim and doesn't look as soft and warm as the picture I get from the name Chubbins. You have the same basic characteristics, nice big, lovely to play with, bubbles, swell looking legs and beside that a lot more soft warm curves that when I get against them, just make me forget all my troubles, and just want to love. Now don't you think it fits you much better than it does her?
I got quite a kick out of "Dirty Gertie" also. There are several more verses but I can't remember the words. I have an idea they have been added to the original and from what I remember, I doubt if they will ever be put in print. Rather dirty.
I guess it really isn't proper army regulations to associate with an officer, but in cases of this kind, nothing is ever said about it. If they did it would be hell to have you an officer. Bet I'd be in the guard house half the time.
I didn't mean to leave you up in the air about the school business, but the whole thing is that way. Nothing is certain, but I doubt very much that I will ever have a chance at it. There is even talk around here that they are going to cut down on the no.of men coming here to school. After this class that I am in they may only have one class a day instead of two. They have already started that in the gunnery and radio schools. That makes it so they already have more instructors than they know what to do with. The staff sgt. we have this week has been here for 3 yrs, and he is worried that he may be sent to some line outfit. He is putting in application for warrant officer.
As for myself, all I know is, I will be sent back to my old outfit and then anything may happen. If the talk of cutting the 8th down about 4000 men and breaking the rest into tank battalions is true, I may end up any place in the U.S. or for that matter, the world. No way to tell except wait and see. If all this is true, and I say if, it begins to look like the army thinks it has enough trained men on hand to finish the job. From all we hear here it looks like things will move pretty fast this winter. It looks mighty good to me over there at the present time. Anything can happen from now on.
Honey. Don't you dare be calling your letters "just notes". I think they are very swell and I love them. If you could see me make a bee line for that mail call you'd know I'm not kidding. I am keeping some of them this time so I can also have a stack of love letters to look at in years to come.
The last line of that letter of mine was an accident. I had it half written before I saw the double meaning, so I just went on and finished it. I thought it was rather good and also very true. It couldn't be anything but hard with you around. It likes you so much it stands up and does tricks for you when I wouldn't think it possible. You got everything it takes to keep us both satisfied. I love you sweetheart and I sure am counting the days.
I found out today you aren't the only one that can get compliments from your picture. Grafton showed me a letter from his wife today and was I surprised. He had sent his wife the same bunch of pictures I sent you. She said the pictures were all good and she liked the one of Grafton and the rest of us by the W.A.C. headquarters sign, best. But she also said and I will quote as nearly as I can remember, "That Effinger sure is a good looking fellow and sounds very interesting. I'd like an introduction if I ever get a chance." So there too. I think that's pretty good, coming from a young woman of 22 to an old geezer like me. She's darn good looking too. Grafton brought the letter over to my room along with his wife's picture. Said he wanted me to read what his wife said about me and also wanted me to see what wanted an introduction. She has brownish red hair, good looking face, and as Grafton says, "big brown eyes". Get what I mean? That's his way of saying, nice bubbles. She is built like a brick shit house, slightly on the heavy side, just like I like 'em. If I wasn't so well satisfied and so much in love, I'm afraid I'd be tempted to stray.
Of course after that I had to tell him about what you said about him and it pleased him a lot. He likes your picture so I guess we're about even there. They all like your pictures but it's something when their wives like mine. I won't forget that right away.
Ernie said his girl thought the picture of the 8th boys would make a good picture of a football team. Tough looking bunch.
Last night Gus and I went to the show. Red Skelton & Elenor Powell in "I Dood It". I don't care much for him but the dancing and musical parts were very good. That gal can sure shake those feet.
We got Torchy just about all back together today. Painting all done, engine running and just a few small jobs left for tomorrow. She nearly got the best of me today. She's an ornery bitch and I'm glad she's only a temporary girlfriend. The engines after being taken out were all out of adjustment and most of that work has to be done with them running. So I spent most all morning twisted up like a pretzel in about 2 cubic feet of empty space in that compartment. To start with, the engines were both too rich and by the time I got that corrected I was pretty well gassed and I had a mean headache for a while, but it didn't last long. Anyhow, she's purring like a kitten now and rarin' to go.
Did I tell you how much I loved you? I still love you more and more all the time honey. I can't find the proper words to tell you how much, but I sure as hell am going to show you soon. You're the sweetest wife and I sure was lucky to get you before you got a chance to look around too much. Night honey. I loves you.
your good looking, interesting husband.
Norm.

No comments: